Most Smartphones to Have Anti-Theft Kill Switches by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert123_74

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
1- Steal the phone
2- Turn it off (and remove battery for Samsung phones)
3- Place inside a Faraday cage (or put into airplane mode)
4- Turn on phone and remove all data
5- Wipe phone with software some hacker will create to get around kill switch and reactivation
6- Resale or use as wanted

In the end, I would argue that not having a kill switch is better because it forces people to think about what their actually putting on their phones, while this will simply create a false sense of security.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I don't think they are getting the point. I want a button that makes my phone sizzle and poof (small puff of smoke). Dead and can't be use at all anymore. Then no one has ANY reason to steal my phone.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I just want a stealth GPS heartbeat, so I can go recover it myself. Especially for these $600+ Note and Galaxy phones. And what is with this still being able to use 911 even after a remote lock??? If said thief gets hurt, the last thing I want him to do is use my phone to get help.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
1- Steal the phone
2- Turn it off (and remove battery for Samsung phones)
3- Place inside a Faraday cage (or put into airplane mode)
4- Turn on phone and remove all data
5- Wipe phone with software some hacker will create to get around kill switch and reactivation
6- Resale or use as wanted

In the end, I would argue that not having a kill switch is better because it forces people to think about what their actually putting on their phones, while this will simply create a false sense of security.
It does say ""to the extent technologically feasible"... that's code for "this really won't do much is someone has advanced skills

Status
Not open for further replies.