Mother Needs Laptop Help, Broadwell vs Haswell ?

Malli Karim

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Hello, good evening.

My mother is in need of a laptop ( that will last her for a long time ) and all she wants to do on it is listen to music, yoga stuff from their group, maybe some movies, and your average Microsoft office stuff and ofc for storage of photos and other things of such nature.

Now, I ask you more knowledgeable guys. What do I get her ? Does she need an i3/i5 ? Even if she doesn't, is it better overall to just get that instead of a Pentium or Celeron ?

Things are more expensive here in Romania obviously because of taxes and euros and all that so the max she would want to go is whatever you can get for ~400$ in the US.

Do brands even matter at this price range ? I'd really like a laptop that doesnt have overheating issues.

If you guys feel like going in-depth you can check the site I'm buying from: http://www.pcgarage.ro/notebook-laptop/

It's a good site with lots of filter options and lots of info on the hardware you buy.
Also pls consider my title question.

Thanks in advance.

Reyaz123

Estimable
May 8, 2015
You can't really get bad overheating from watching videos. But playing video games and if the air holes are blocked you will get it.

i3 is the best for watching movies and typing documents in microsoft office. i5 wouldn't suit the user, because that is mainly for gamers and other hardcore pc users

You could settle for pentium or celeron but if you are willing to pay a little bit more for performance, get the one with the i3 processor

Get this laptop: ASUS 15.6 "X554LA, HD, Intel® Core ™ i3-5010U Broadwell 2.1GHz, 4GB, 500GB, GMA HD 5500 Black

Asus is a good brand and i've owned 2 of their laptops for 5+ years with no issues