Review Motorola One 5G Ace review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Aubrey

Great
Jan 19, 2021
For a while you had me thinking that I should get the Pixel 4A instead of the Moto 5G ACE. I went back and made some comparisons and definitely think I will stay with the Moto. Here is my reasoning, Moto on left, Pixel 4A right.

5G: Yes, No - this is not usually a factor for me as I live in the mountains and cell towers are few and far between, so I don't expect any 5G towersto show up since there are only a few houses per mile but I do spend time in large cities (ugh).

Snapdragon processor: 750G 730G

Screen size: 6.7 vs 5.8

Front camera: 16 M 8M - Another don't care as the only selfie I ever took was for a job application.

Rear Camera: 48M, wide, and macro. 12M only. Depth sensors are over rated and will go away or will be incorporated into telephoto lenses. Otherwise my thinking is this is my phone, my Nikon is my camera so if it has a flash that is good enough for occasional use.

Night mode: I think the assessment was invalid as I see shadows in the picture from which I infer there was sunlight. Not a good test for night mode in my book. Please try again in low light or on a city street at night.

Video: Other reviews have dissed the Pixel 4A video more than the Moto.

NFC: Yes, yes.

Battery capacity: 5000 mAh 3140 mAh

Battery life: 12 hrs 9 hrs

Speakers: Mono Stereo - This is another don't care situation al long as the speaker phone is loud enough for us half deaf people. Also stereo speakers less than 30 inches apart are a joke. An alternate rule of thumb is that distance between speakers shoud be 75-100% of the distance to the listener. So I guess the Pixel 4A speakers would be ideal for your pet mouse. If I want decent sound I will use ear phones/buds or external powered speakers.

So I will get the Moto but thanks for making me think about it. Thought about the TCL but doubt Verizon would let me buy it and then use it with Total Wireless.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
I'm guessing Motorola made a different version of this phone cause I am using the Ace 5G to type this reply and I must say it holds its own with some other 5G phone around the same price point. I got mine from T-Mobile for $260. The fingerprint reader is on the back, not on the power button. The phone and OS seem very snappy and quick, the only lag I see is when you reboot the phone and I think part of that is the fancy Moto splash screen. I will admit it is a bit heftier than my last phone (Nokia 5.3) but it still feels good to hold. I haven't test the low light and night time pictures yet, but the camera is pretty good again for this price point. The audio settings are what impress me. I listen to a lot of music and with a few tweaks, I was hearing things in songs I've listened to a thousand times and never heard before. Overall I am enjoying this phone. Don't count it out just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.