Motorola's Laptop/Smartphone combo, the ATRIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I WANT ONE!!!! How useful to have a triple purpose mobile system! Imagine: Digital Camera, portable music player, phone, netbook, tablet pc, portable movie jukebox and gps all in one. I would not expect it to completely replace a high end laptop but still, NICE!

nullifi

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Since I am looking at buying a netbook to have a functional portable PC, and looking to buy a new phone in the coming months.. I may wait for this.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Excellent. This is kind of what I've been thinking Moorestown ought to be able to do; well great this shows it CAN be done. I could see this device in my future.

G

If this is pulled off right, it will be my next phone/laptop purchase. I only have Verizon where I live- so I both they don't sign some stupid exclusivity deal.

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I WANT ONE!!!! How useful to have a triple purpose mobile system! Imagine: Digital Camera, portable music player, phone, netbook, tablet pc, portable movie jukebox and gps all in one. I would not expect it to completely replace a high end laptop but still, NICE!
..Snipergod87 01/06/2011 7:32 PM

It's called the Dell Streak :)

sirishmen

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
I see how a TV dock application might be a cool thing, but what pro is there with a netbook. Your lugging the something the size of a normal netbook just to plug your phone into. Wouldn't it just be better to get a netbook that works on it's own so if your with someone and they need to use the computer, you can still use your phone.

G

I've been wanting something like this for a long time. What I'd really like to see is two other form factors.

1. Tablet form factor with phone that slides into a tablet style system with possible accelerated graphics and/or coprocessors to help drive it.

2. In dash car stereo form factor with a doc for my phone and app that runs my car stereo with possible additional storage for music and video.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Nice concept, but they failed the execution miserably. Why not have the phone embed into the chassis and act as the touchpad? Or at least land near it, inside the chassis. Sticking out the back looks super dumb and is a very unnatural place to put it. Say you get a call while typing away on your phone-top and want to take it on the handset instead of shouting at the screen... You have to close the thing to get back there to pick it up. Very awkward. I bet this will be as popular as those blackberry screen/keyboard doodads.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Thats a stroke of genius, these smartphones are so powerful,im surprised that someone didnt come out with one earlier. I would love to have something like that for my galaxy vibrant which im sure has untapped potential even with its single core.

krems04

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
@joebob2000

not a bad idea to have the cellphone embed into the netbook dock and act as a touchpad, but that might not go well if the phone has a skin on it....

there's also the issue of signal strength, just think of the phone as a big 4G antenna

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]gabrielspcs[/nom]I WANT ONE!!!! How useful to have a triple purpose mobile system! Imagine: Digital Camera, portable music player, phone, netbook, tablet pc, portable movie jukebox and gps all in one. I would not expect it to completely replace a high end laptop but still, NICE![/citation]Dell beat Motorola to market in September 2010 with a device that has all the same features listed. The Dell Streak is effectively the same thing but without a laptop docking station. Given the overall functionality of the Dell Streak, I believe it to be a better option that this Motorola device.

Status
Not open for further replies.