Mozilla Cuts Thunderbird Mail Client Development

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Casual users mostly use webmail now, and Outlook is embedded in the corporate world...[/citation]Man, we're on IBM Lotus Notes and it sucks big time! :(

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
How about actually checking facts?

http://mikeconley.ca/blog/2012/07/06/no-thats-not-it-for-thunderbird/

https://blog.mozilla.org/beyond-the-code/2012/07/09/about-the-future-of-thunderbird/

So no, TB is not dead. Not by a long shot.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]delazaren[/nom]WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
I have been using TB for so many years I cannot even remember what I had before that. What are the options now?[/citation]

Let me fix that for you.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
"We have seen the rising popularity of Web-based forms of communications representing email alternatives to a desktop solution,"

"rising" popularity? did i just time travel back to 1999?

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
the rising popularity of web-based email forms might be due to the fact that more and more people use email while fewer and fewer of them would know how to install and configure a mail client.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
More than once I was close to switching from Eudora to Thunderbird.
Glad I didn't or I'd be out in the cold soon.

As for Firefox.... using it less and less with every 'update'. And after the sh!t they pulled on Windows 2000 machines (forced messages to upgrade the OS -which is none of their friggin' business-) we started replacing it with Opera on some 50 systems so far.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]delazaren[/nom]the rising popularity of web-based email forms might be due to the fact that more and more people use email while fewer and fewer of them would know how to install and configure a mail client.[/citation]
The unwashed masses of morons need it spoon fed to them. If they had to type imap.mail.domain.com and a port number they'd likely have a stroke.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]tului[/nom]The unwashed masses of morons need it spoon fed to them. If they had to type imap.mail.domain.com and a port number they'd likely have a stroke.[/citation]

The idea of a servant (computer...) is to make things easier; not to make ME a slave to the machine and learn the Machine's language !
imap.mail.domain...:port... NO ! mail.domain should be enough. Let the machine figure out the rest. That's what the thing is there for !

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]What's email client? it is so 90-s....[/citation]

OK, what do YOU use to read your email ?
Maybe I am missing something.

G

So sad to see TB die - I hope they at least keep archive versions available for download.

Web mail is great for those that like dumbed down crap like Windows 7, but not for people that are actually interested in productivity.

asem2k

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I seem to be swimming against the flow here , but I've actually moved from web-based to a mail client years ago !. A good mail client like TB is superior to accessing your mail through the browser for the following reasons :

1- Offline work ! , you can only read/search/write mail to outbox while you're online ! - when am away with no internet connection I can read,search and compose messages , and synch in a couple of minutes when I'm connected.

2- Multiple accounts , all log in directly without having to log in or open tabs..etc.

3- No Ads when using your yahoo , gmail or hotmail accounts !.
4- No browser scripts or malware reading your cookies and hacking your accounts - especially hotmail.
5- I share my emails (TB profile) on different OSs/computers , so they're all synched , including attachments

and the list goes on... It's just much more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS