Mozilla Discontinues 64-Bit Firefox Browser

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_2bags

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
I stopped using Firefox months ago, when it just started crashing over and over out of the blue. Started using Chrome, solid as a rock and fast. Couldn't care less if Firefox went away completely anymore.

EddieLomax

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I've been suspicious of Firefox ever since Google took over their funding, its almost as if they are working hard to fail...

I'm still using them on most machines, but IE is looking more appealing now, especially since they copied the chrome ui style, I really prefered the old netscape look and feel for getting things done.

th123

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
so Firefox is throwing in the towel, devoting itself to WinXP x86, or WinME essentially. I would have thought they would discontinue 32bit and focus on 64bit in this day in age. Glad I didn't get too comfortable. Guess they aiming to be the backup browser when 64bit browser fails and the user doesn't choose the 32bit version. #3 is fine i guess, right? NOT

erraticfocus

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]...i have over 600 tabs open right now...[/citation]

cool story, name a few of them?

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]...the site i went to died though about 2 years ago, so that load is dead to me, but i still have other things open for reference or sites i keep up with on a daily basis that i dont want to put in bookmarks because i would forget them.[/citation]

wut? you keep hundreds of sites open in bookmarks so you don't forget them, but won't bookmark them? hope you don't have a blackout any time soon!

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003
This is dumb. They should dump the 32-bit version, not the 64-bit version. With just the 64-bit version things would go very smoothly. I've been using 64-bit Waterfox with no problems at all.

stephenkendrick

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]So for now it makes sense for Mozilla to refocus their efforts on the 32-bit version of the browser until the plugins finally get caught up to 64-bit.[/citation]

But how could the plugins 'get caught up to 64-bit' if there's no actual FF browser platform at 64-bit for them to develop against?

Dumb decision by Mozilla IMHO.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]erraticfocus[/nom]cool story, name a few of them?wut? you keep hundreds of sites open in bookmarks so you don't forget them, but won't bookmark them? hope you don't have a blackout any time soon![/citation]

it was mostly rss feeds that updated but keeped on updating daily with a few hundred links and it was easy to get backlogged.

as for now, what firefox has mostly been relegated to is my rss program that i keep blogs open in, and also where i keep random low priority things i find in chrome.

all my tabs are bookmarked on an in case it dies basis, but i keep them all up so i don't forget about them.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]is there any CPUs made in last 5 years that are NOT 64bit?if Mozilla pushed for 64bit builds as default, then developers would be more inclined to write more and more plug-ins in 64bit as default and make it 32bit compatible...it's 21st century for petesakes!! make 64bit as default coding!!![/citation]

Intel Atom.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Let me guess, they are too busy integrating Facebook into their browser to support 64bit. Mozilla has become another tool.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]So it's still 64 bit on my mac. Nice[/citation]
Firefox will not see my Mac and it is removed from my Ubuntu rig as well.

G

Haven't used Firefox since They killed the browser with Version 4. 3.6.28 was the last "useable" Firefox build. Switched to Seamonkey after that and haven't looked back.

The Firefox team can kiss my a$$!

Just my 2 cents.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I think Mozilla should have stopped development on Boot 2 Gecko instead of stopping Firefox 64-bit. I don't see what B2G gets me, but I do see benefits from Firefox 64 down the road. Unfortunately, I tend not to use Firefox due to its performance issues.

shahrooz

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Mozilla engineering manager Benjamin Scumbag asked developers to halt nightly builds for Firefox versions optimized to run on 64-bit versions of Windows. that's how I read it first... true story

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]apocalypsing[/nom]Firefox and flash together seems to work fine for me. Perhaps you should update Firefox, Flash and your extensions, or better yet, remove any unnecessary extensions.Anyway, It really irks me how a lot of software developers in this day and age still aren't releasing 64-bit stable builds of their software. CPUs with 64-bit architectures have been out for ages now. Would be great of Mozilla would release stable 64-bit builds, so we don't have to wait possibly weeks for Waterfox to update.[/citation]

yeah i agree .. i'm still strachign my ehad on this one .. 16 bit to 32 turn around was done in like a matter of 2 years ....and 32 bit to 64 bit turn around has been taking about 6-7 years now that EVEN when 64 bit cpu's have backward compatibility with 32 bit. 32 bit cpu's didnt have 16 bit backward compatibility and that had tio be done completely software side yet it had much quicker turn around period. people need to get with the progralm we are now on the 4th generation or 64 bit OS's (win XP 64 , win vista , win 7 and now win 8), there 's no excuse for there not being 64 bit plugins in place by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.