Mozilla: One More Firefox Beta, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I see theyre doing things like game game developers used to do things. Better to release it when its done than to release it unfinished to patch 10 times a week...

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Before someone "complains" about the browser's UI becoming similar to Chrome's, read this first.

Firefox 4's UI first did not copy CHROME OR OPERA'S. Google or Mozilla were not the first to develop the idea of tabs on top. Firefox 4's UI is similar but much better than Chrome's. For example, when you open 80+ tabs (yes there are power users out there) into the tab bar, Firefox hides the tabs that won't visually pleasing fit on to screen. Chrome will try to fit all of them into the tab bar making it hard to differentiate between the tabs with millimeter sized tabs. Also Chrome still does not have a good organizer such as Firefox 4's tab candy. Chrome does not know how to deal with clutter.

The extensions in Chrome are inferior to those in Firefox collection. Google Chrome extensions API is terribly limited for extension developers when compared to Firefox extensions API. That is why Chrome is unable to create extensions equal to Noscript and Adblockplus. Even though ad blocking extensions for Chrome CLAIM to be able to block ads with the newest version of Chrome, my findings with the latest stable Chrome build and Adblockplus for Chrome beta show the ads are STILL only HIDDEN AFTER LOADING. Even if ithe ads load for only a mere half a second, the fact is the browser is still hiding ads. Notscript is by far inferior to the original Noscript for Firefox. http://optimalcycling.com/other-projects/notscripts/limitations/

Speed-wise Firefox 4 has made huge leaps in performance. You will physically be unable to notice the difference in page loading times between browsers. This is assuming you can't tell the difference between millisecond time differences.

In conclusion, Firefox 4 is superior to Chrome.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm just surprised that Mozilla couldn't deliver this browser sooner. I mean, you'd think they'd have a massive collection of engineers working on it.

Even with user surveys and statistics tracking though, they make stupid changes. Like changing search from CTRL+E to CTRL+K. That was just absurd.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Tried it, but it is still slower than chrome on my PC, so I'm likely going to sit this one out. But here's hoping they get their act together! I love mozilla, great company, great values, just need to make things faster. And the new UI is ugly... needs some work.
I am sure Johnsmith, and his hate for VLC that I share, is right that it is much better than chrome on a technical level, but when I open the program I want it to open in under 5sec, and I want it to start loading pages when I hit 'enter', nither of which it actuially does (at least on my system). Instead it just wants to space out for a sec before it gets down to business. And the problem that firefox really has is that chrome is only going to get better with time. Chrome is on rev1 still... and it is already faster... so what happens when they do their next big update?

Status
Not open for further replies.