MPC Cleaner impossible to uninstall? Requires admin..I am admin

gamingwoop

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Accidentally downloaded the known virus program MPC cleaner. I uninstalled it straight away, but it still opens a web page every time I open Chrome, and today the shortcuts to the program reappeared on my desktop. The program isn't in the Programs and Features list so i can't uninstall that way. It's running in the background as Task Manager shows, but I can't End Task. The folder (located in Program Files x86) won't delete; it says it requires administrator permission to delete. I right-clicked and went to "Security" tab and gave full control to everything but it still says it requires admin.

I have no idea what else to try.

Can you run any AV software or Malwarebytes to see if that will find and remove it?

Any configuration changes in Chrome that could be used to remove or disable the program?

Boot into safe mode perhaps and get to it that way?

What about msconfig.msc - see if there is anything in the Services or Startup tabs.

Or try using Powershell to stop and remove the process or service.

gamingwoop

Estimable
Apr 29, 2015
Sorry for late response, and thank you all for suggestions

ADWCleaner recognised the files but couldn't delete them.
Malwarebyte seems to have removed the program files successfully, but the MPC site still opens upon launching Chrome. I can't find any solution within Chrome's settings.