MS: Free Windows Phones for Disgruntled Android Users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
My first smart phone, android 2.2, got the use of it rather quickly and got fond of it.
Recently I had to use a windows phone for work, and I found it very non intuitive in comparison, and frustrated me a lot till I learned the options and where to look for them... luckily it was just a temporary setup, and now back to my dear android.

G

mfw they realise that windows phone 7 is actually an android device just with different software and they're complaining about poor battery life.

mfw I have no face.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Too bad windows phone isn't available in our local language. My parents sure wouldn't mind replacing their androinds with something better. My dad's LG has never had a working camera (files don't get saved), and my mom had to upgrade the software to 2.2 as the very first thing, as hers came with 1.6. And overall they're not too happy really. But they don't have any choice, as they're not very well versed in foreign languages.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Microsoft are haemorrhaging market share so fast they are desperate. Expect some very very heavy discounts on Windows phones very shortly, if the trend continues they might not even be able to give them away.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
This is not marketing... 5 phones? How about offering 10,000 phones! And for those people to write what they like about the wp over android or iPhone. That would be a good start.

I'd trade my galaxy phone for a Samsung wp7 phone... I'm stuck with mine for another 10 months.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Microsoft is finally doing what Apple has done, make the hardware the same on all the phones and give out universal updates. That's a good idea.

Android needs to be more consistent.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]I'm willing to bet 10$ that percentage wise there will be more disgruntled windows phone users. That if there will be windows phone users other than the ones who win a phone from this contest.[/citation]
I'll take that $10 bet!
There are more disgruntled Android users than WP users in total!!!!!
All joking aside, have you even used a Windows Phone? Don't knock it till you've tried it

G

Reminds me of politicians, "I'm not really better than the opposition, but vote for me if you think they're flawed!"

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]virtualban[/nom]My first smart phone, android 2.2, got the use of it rather quickly and got fond of it.Recently I had to use a windows phone for work, and I found it very non intuitive in comparison, and frustrated me a lot till I learned the options and where to look for them... luckily it was just a temporary setup, and now back to my dear android.[/citation]
Windows 6.1 phones don't count.

G

I have an HTC "Dream" it is without a doubt the worst phone I have ever had the misfortune to witness. It's so bad I find myself pining for my old flip phone, it ALWAYS worked!

My experiences with Android and HTC have been TERRIBLE.
The phone is unstable, has brutal battery life and CANNOT be upgraded!!!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]MuddyRoverRob[/nom]I have an HTC "Dream" it is without a doubt the worst phone I have ever had the misfortune to witness. It's so bad I find myself pining for my old flip phone, it ALWAYS worked!My experiences with Android and HTC have been TERRIBLE.The phone is unstable, has brutal battery life and CANNOT be upgraded!!![/citation]
Dude, don't blame the software on the hardware, Android may run well on Sony phones and WP may run terrible on LG phones but you can't go round saying things like "Android is crap because I can't upgrade the battery".

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]I'll take that $10 bet!...There are more disgruntled Android users than WP users in total!!!!!...All joking aside, have you even used a Windows Phone? Don't knock it till you've tried it[/citation]
This is why I stated "percentage" wise
I've used an ipaq for quite some time. I don't think microsoft has what it takes to make a good interface of their own. And to be honest, Windows phone 7gives me the impression that it's an android stuck on a myspace page.
Time will tell how successful the platform will be. I'd be surprised if they take over any more than 20% of market share.
Remember the zune? I expect windows mobile to be similar but with slightly more success. Which isn't an achievement at all.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Microsoft is having a tough time moving WP7 for many reasons:

1) Late to market: Apple ran away with the market and Google filled the void that Apple left over. This leads to...

2) Slow start: RTM and NoDo had no business being out there...too many basic features missing until Mango was released.

3) Poor marketing (although having Nokia onboard should change some of this)

4) WM6 being a piece of crap--so many people (and salespeople) think of WM6 when they think of "Windows Phone" that they don't want to touch it with a 10-foot pole

5) Inferior hardware, despite the fact that WP7 runs EXCELLENT on a single-core 1 GHz processor while Android needs more than that to have a smooth user experience. Despite that, users are going to hear "dual-core" and want an Android instead (this then becomes more of a marketing problem...see #1 above).

6) LACK of hardware. CDMA carriers only sell one, yes ONE WP7 handset. Verizon only sells the Trophy, Sprint only sells the HTC Arrive (a renamed 7 Pro), and the smaller carriers the HTC 7 Pro (without a name change). The GSM providers have a larger selection, but still...the Android selection DWARFS that of WP7!!!

7) Apps. Yes, I know the app store grew MUCH faster than Apple and Google's stores, but the platform is still missing many of the killer apps that iPhone and Android have. This is pretty much a Catch-22: apps will come when the platform becomes more popular, but it needs apps to become more popular!!!

G

I had an Win Mo 6.1 phone for over a year. Hardware was ok but the software was a real pain. If not restarted daily, it showed nothing if someone would call me, but the other person would think that everything is ok and I will see a lost call in the log. So, caveat emptor.

xythrax4420

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
The only malware I have seen on android is carrierIQ and software installed by services ie. verizon and at&t no amount of protection will change that. I am sure that windows phone like all other windows products are just full of backdoors and security loopholes so da gubmint can make sure you arn't a terrorist of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.