MSFT Dubs Handheld Console Market 'Red Ocean'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teaspoon

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]ukee1593[/nom]Microsoft sucks so I don't want to see a MS handheld. I think SONY has the right idea with their PlayStation module being implemented into certain Android phones. This will eventually expand just as PC gaming expanded on the windows platform and could get them a lot of revenue. Providing a PlayStation module makes it easier for developers to create the software for the phone resulting in what I believe will be a better experience than the standard Android or iOS games. This too brings the developers we know (and love) such as Naughty Dog and Insomniac over to the smartphone arena where they wouldn't have already. Don't forget the Playstation Vita is almost a smartphone already. It has music, movie, GPS, internet connectivity via 3G already! I'm certain that there is still a market out there where the buyer just wants a small smartphone like the HTC wildfire which they have in their pocket and they keep the PS Vita in their bag so their pants don't fall down! I bet with the size of the screen they'll stick on the iPhone 5 25% of the population will be going around with their pants around their ankles. If Microsoft didn't have a console they'd be saying the same thing about the console gaming market[/citation]
Companies that suck don't become multi-billion dollar companies. As for the experia play I would much rather have a keyboard instead of the controller thing. I could play Quake 3 perfectly fine on my Droid 1 without a gaming keyboard thingy

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]teaspoon[/nom]Companies that suck don't become multi-billion dollar companies. As for the experia play I would much rather have a keyboard instead of the controller thing. I could play Quake 3 perfectly fine on my Droid 1 without a gaming keyboard thingy[/citation]

Not true at all. Microsoft sucks, has always sucked, and most predict, always will suck. They became a multi-billion dollar company because their competitor didn't like IBM (or really his wife), so Microsoft became the standard for a machine that sold well. After that, they abused their monopoly to squeeze competition out and remain the only real entity in these markets. People didn't buy Microsoft stuff because they liked it better, they did because it was cheaper (or free in the case of browsers), and Microsoft could afford to sell at lower prices because of they were making money in other areas. Once they destroyed the competition, they would jack up prices.

You'll notice they fail wherever they can't leverage their monopoly. Zune worked well, huh? Great job getting their OS on phones so far, huh? Microsoft Bob was a real winner? Windows has really taken off on tablets? Is there a single month IE doesn't lose more market share? Guess their search engine isn't on top, despite being favored by their own OS. The list goes on and on.

Also, what's with the weird metaphors? Red ocean? Wood behind it? Sounds like this ass-clown has had too much wood behind him. Who talks like that?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I hate to say it but, stand alone mobile gaming is dead now that phones can game. Sort of like how PDAs were killed by phones. I certainly think there is a market for gaming oriented phones though (like the Xperia PLAY). Either way, I can barely bring myself down (off my high horse) to play consoles, let alone portable consoles. Lone live the PC.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]teaspoon[/nom]Companies that suck don't become multi-billion dollar companies. [/citation]

Then how come all multi-billion dollar companies suck? ;-)

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
In my opinion, Microsoft should stay away from creating a dedicated handheld. This is a dieing market that will become dominated by smartphones, which I see as a good thing. If Nintendo came out with a mobile phone built into the 3DS then they could easily have justified the $300 price tag or more. People would rather buy a $1 game forty times over on their iphone/android that they already own, and already take everywhere, than pay $300 for a dedicated handheld and $40/game. As for replacing a console, gaming on a mobile phone is actually pretty good, especially on phones with HDMI output. All you need is a Wii controller and an emulator to convert your smartphone into an old school gaming console.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It is true that multi-billion dollar companies "suck". They suck the dollars right out of the consumers by producing something they need or want or at least think they do.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]In my opinion, Microsoft should stay away from creating a dedicated handheld. This is a dieing market that will become dominated by smartphones, which I see as a good thing. If Nintendo came out with a mobile phone built into the 3DS then they could easily have justified the $300 price tag or more. People would rather buy a $1 game forty times over on their iphone/android that they already own, and already take everywhere, than pay $300 for a dedicated handheld and $40/game. As for replacing a console, gaming on a mobile phone is actually pretty good, especially on phones with HDMI output. All you need is a Wii controller and an emulator to convert your smartphone into an old school gaming console.[/citation]

im going to get a 3ds when 5 games i want come out for it. so far there are 2, and with pc announcement of street fighter 4, its back down to 1.

im also getting a psv when uncharted comes out for it.

i personally despise those 1$ games and would rather pay 10-15$ for a good game (think the live arcade titles) or 40$ for a full retail game.

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Not true at all. Microsoft sucks, has always sucked, and most predict, always will suck. They became a multi-billion dollar company because their competitor didn't like IBM (or really his wife), so Microsoft became the standard for a machine that sold well. After that, they abused their monopoly to squeeze competition out and remain the only real entity in these markets. People didn't buy Microsoft stuff because they liked it better, they did because it was cheaper (or free in the case of browsers), and Microsoft could afford to sell at lower prices because of they were making money in other areas. Once they destroyed the competition, they would jack up prices.You'll notice they fail wherever they can't leverage their monopoly. Zune worked well, huh? Great job getting their OS on phones so far, huh? Microsoft Bob was a real winner? Windows has really taken off on tablets? Is there a single month IE doesn't lose more market share? Guess their search engine isn't on top, despite being favored by their own OS. The list goes on and on. Also, what's with the weird metaphors? Red ocean? Wood behind it? Sounds like this ass-clown has had too much wood behind him. Who talks like that?[/citation]

you have a point but its poor.
i hate microsoft because of there fud against opengl when it was taking off better than dx. open gl always worked better than dx for me, and i still use it in games that let me.
asside from that, did microsoft have any notable compediters?

i mean look at everything they do right, and than look at its competition, they cant REALLY keep up. open office is great for home use but not business.

ie, well, they really stopped caring about that one for a long time, now its a viable option again.

what else. phones. their phone os is ok, but everyone wants a droid or an iphone to look cool, they don't get that with a windows phone. and when as gen 1 anything been great?

windows 8 will be the os for everything, and i hate that about it on the desktop, but on a tablet or a phone, i think it can really work.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i really doubt phone gaming is going to be any better than handheld console gaming ever. The xperia play is a good idea, but its just not good enough. playing games with a touch screen SUCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS