MSI and ASUS?

tomsyajota

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015
Hi guys, I'm on the verge of buying a laptop for myself and need your help desperately. I currently own lenovo y580 and have been looking for an upgrade for a while but I'm noob to this laptop scene and was unable to decide. I would highly appreciate any input/help.
I'm currently looking at

MSI GE62 apache pro
http://ca.msi.com/product/nb/GE62-2QF-276US-Apache-Pro.html#hero-overview
&
ASUS ROG G751JT
https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G751JT/specifications/

Both has same price range in my region (about 1.7k CAD), Same gpu (gtx 970m) but the major difference comes down to CPU where MSI has i7-5700HQ while ASUS has i7 4710HQ. Asus have a bit broader screen but it's not much of a merit to me as 15.6 is already big enough for my personal preferences. Which one would you recommend?
Also I heard MSI gonna refresh their GE62 with Skylake 6th gen and DDR4 rams soon too. I was also wondering if this change is gonna affect the gaming capacity a LOT provided they will have the same gtx 970m GPU. I would like to know if it would worth the wait for the refreshed stocks to come in.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Solution
That's not the only difference. The G751 has a 256GB SSD versus the MSI which has a 128GB SSD.

In any case, Skylake mobile CPUs will likely improve performance greatly on Broadwell, just as Broadwell mobile did over Haswell, but primarily in productivity situations. In gaming, you are not going to notice extreme differences in framerate, as a GTX 970M, while powerful for a laptop GPU, is still only equivalent to a midrange desktop GTX 960, so the bottleneck is squarely in the GPU at this point. However, it would be worth the wait anyway, because of other chipset features such as USB 3 Type-C, and fast NVMe laptop SSDs.

metalicgeek

Estimable
That's not the only difference. The G751 has a 256GB SSD versus the MSI which has a 128GB SSD.

In any case, Skylake mobile CPUs will likely improve performance greatly on Broadwell, just as Broadwell mobile did over Haswell, but primarily in productivity situations. In gaming, you are not going to notice extreme differences in framerate, as a GTX 970M, while powerful for a laptop GPU, is still only equivalent to a midrange desktop GTX 960, so the bottleneck is squarely in the GPU at this point. However, it would be worth the wait anyway, because of other chipset features such as USB 3 Type-C, and fast NVMe laptop SSDs.

Solution

tomsyajota

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015

Thanks a lot for such an informative comment! I suppose I'll just have to wait for skylake and might as well go for gtx980. :D

metalicgeek

Estimable

If you have the funds for a 980M-equipped laptop, I wholeheartedly recommend that.