Solved! MSI CX61 Laptop - Won't Charge/Turn on

Feb 26, 2020
Had this laptop for 6 years running fine and now all of a sudden it won't charge or turn on.

I took the battery out but kept it plugged in at the mains to see if it was the cable but still no luck. However I also noticed when the battery was in and the charger plugged in; the blue battery LED would flash every 30 secs so now I'm wondering if it maybe IS a battery issue, although I was under the impression that you could power ANY laptop without a battery assuming it was plugged in?

Please excuse my ignorance in advance!

Cheers

Solution
Most likely thing is a bad motherboard. Could be the charger.

Try resetting the motherboard, unplug all power, take out the CMOS battery from the motherboard then hold in the power button for about 15 seconds. Plug in only wall power and see if system starts. If not, remove the RAM and try to start the system, most of the time if the motherboard is good it will give you some error beeps or light blinks to say there is no RAM. If it does nothing that points to the motherboard as the issue.
Most likely thing is a bad motherboard. Could be the charger.

Try resetting the motherboard, unplug all power, take out the CMOS battery from the motherboard then hold in the power button for about 15 seconds. Plug in only wall power and see if system starts. If not, remove the RAM and try to start the system, most of the time if the motherboard is good it will give you some error beeps or light blinks to say there is no RAM. If it does nothing that points to the motherboard as the issue.

Solution