MSI GS40 Temp Question

Jan 17, 2015
So i just purchased a MSI GS40 Phantom, with the following specs :

i7 6700HQ
GTX 970M 3 GB DDR5
16 GB DDR4
SSD 256
HDD 1TB 7200RPM

Its my first gaming notebook. When i play games (witcher 3 , fallout 4 etc) the cpu and gpu temps
tend to stay between 78-84 degrees celsius. I have to say that right now its pretty hot in my country (Romania, 34C today), and that my ambient temperatus its a bit high, i assume. Are these temperatures ok ? Could someone please tell me what are the normal temps for a gaming laptop (as small as this one)? Thank you :)

Solution

Switching drives won't change the temperature one bit. But switching out thermal paste can possibly decrease the temps by 4 degrees.

Switching drives won't change the temperature one bit. But switching out thermal paste can possibly decrease the temps by 4 degrees.

Solution
Jan 17, 2015
So, i installed Intel Extreme utility and i played around a bit with it. if i have my settings in msi gaming dragon center set to sport (the most powerful mode), when i try to export a video in adobe prmiere it says there thermal throttling and the cpu reaches 86-88 C. If i tone it down to green mode, i dont get any throttling, and the temps are around 67C. Also, number of cores is displayed as being 2, instead of the normal 4 cores (i have a 6700HQ)...why is that ? should i be concerned ? Thank you

Strange. So in CPU-Z in green mode does it display only 2 cores?

Strange. So in CPU-Z in green mode does it display only 2 cores?