Question MSI GS65 touchpad and keyboard freeze

Nov 29, 2019
MSI GS65 8REGTX1060
This lasts for a few months.
I have contacted numerous times MSI support, it was serviced once when it was on warranty, which solved the touchpad freezing for a few weeks, then I got it again.Occasionally, I would see keyboard and trackpad not working together, but more often it would be the only trackpad, it works 2-3 minutes then it just freezes.I have done the following procedures:
  1. Updated vBios, BIOS, EC firmaware (all from msi website)
  2. Clean installed windows from USB and drivers from MSI website
  3. Installed ubuntu/linux to make sure this isn't firmware related
  4. Serviced locally with a reputable computer center, the laptop is no longer on warranty and I'm currently in a country where MSI doesn't have an official repair center, they did check all components, motherboard fully disassembled and said it's all fine.
  5. I would encounter the same problem even when installing the windows from USB (install menu)
I was advised that the touchpad can't be replaced separately, thus I need to replace the whole unit.
I am very disappointed, the laptop was never overclocked, abused and so on, maybe someone encountered similar problems and knows the solution.
Please see the video attached video when the keyboard and trackpad would randomly freeze and it just comes back to life when I did restart the laptop, sometimes even after restarting it the trackpad still won't work.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LMNs3E22MxvNYK6f6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PGeJKahL4D8JJ8VA9

Also attached is latency mon report, this was done when the trackpad was working and after a short time, I've experienced freezing.

Latencymon

Thank you

Sadly it sounds like you have tried most anything that can be done to resolve it and the part will need replacing.

Not sure that the whole top would need replacing to just replace the trackpad. It doesn't look like it does to me, just the the whole thing would need to be taken apart to replace the part. Which is a lot of work, but I don't see why anything else would need replacing unless also damaged/not working.

Anyone else want to weigh in on that part? Looking at it, it doesn't seem like one piece to me, but I could be wrong (not opened up that device).

I would check around with different techs for the work and pricing to be safe.

Additionally, if you don't want to do the work right now, or they want to much for it, you do have the option of using a mouse instead.

Reactions: Greg Chalik
Nov 29, 2019
Sadly it sounds like you have tried most anything that can be done to resolve it and the part will need replacing.

Not sure that the whole top would need replacing to just replace the trackpad. It doesn't look like it does to me, just the the whole thing would need to be taken apart to replace the part. Which is a lot of work, but I don't see why anything else would need replacing unless also damaged/not working.

Anyone else want to weigh in on that part? Looking at it, it doesn't seem like one piece to me, but I could be wrong (not opened up that device).

I would check around with different techs for the work and pricing to be safe.

Additionally, if you don't want to do the work right now, or they want to much for it, you do have the option of using a mouse instead.

thanks a lot for your input, here is an ifixit teardown which essentially is the same laptop, there are some videos on youtube as well.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MSI_GS63VR_7RF_Stealth_Pro

The question is, can the touchpad be replaced separately? The repair shop told me it's not possible.

Thank you

I did a bit more searching and while I can't find any info showing the tear down of that part of that laptop, I did find something that should help.

While it doesn't have all the images for the parts, it does list the keyboard and the touchpad as separate replacement parts.

If that is the case, then I don't see how/why both would need to be replaced at the same time. http://www.laptopinventory.com/Laptop_Model.php/MSI/GS Series/GS63VR-7RF

Reactions: Greg Chalik

Greg Chalik

Great
Nov 28, 2019
I would venture to guess that no laptop/notebook comes with a touchpad permanently attached tot he motherboard because it would make assembly almost impossible. There is usually a ribbon cable connecting touchpad to motherboard and it may be that this ribbon cable is loose (can happen) and all you need to do is ensure it is not loose. EARTH YOURSELF before you open the unit to do this. Use a tool rather than your hands. If that doesn't work, it may be the touchpad that is faulty after all.

Nov 29, 2019
I did a bit more searching and while I can't find any info showing the tear down of that part of that laptop, I did find something that should help.

While it doesn't have all the images for the parts, it does list the keyboard and the touchpad as separate replacement parts.

If that is the case, then I don't see how/why both would need to be replaced at the same time. http://www.laptopinventory.com/Laptop_Model.php/MSI/GS Series/GS63VR-7RF

I will probably need to mail them, as they don't have the GS65 (MS-16Q2) listed at all.

Thank you for your input