MSI GS75 or MSI GE75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm really confused whether to buy MSI GS75 Stealth 17'.3'' Laptop or MSI GE75 17.3"
I'll use the laptop for Training and Testing Deep Learning models using Google's TENSOR FLOW
(RTX cards have dedicated HW - Tensor Cores therefore computation will be fast)

Also, I'm a student.

MSI GS75 17.3"
- i7-8750H
- RTX2080 with Max-Q Design (will probably overclock it)
- 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
- 256GB NVMe storage (will add extra Samsung 970 EVO 1TB ~ $248)
- 1920 X 1080 144Hz 3ms IPS panel
- Battery - msi claims around 8 hours
- weights around 5 pounds
- $2,800

MSI GE75 17.3"
- i7-8750H
- RTX2070 (Desktop, no MAX-Q)
- 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz
- 256GB NVMe storage + 1TB SSHD
- 1920 X 1080 144Hz 3ms IPS panel
- Battery - around 4-5 hours
- $2300

My main issue is with that RTX 2080 MAX-Q design, man it is seriously under-clocked, and it is closer to performance of RTX 2060 (Desktop) then it is to RTX 2070 (Desktop).

I'll also be using it for gaming (of course).

The RTX 2070 in GE73 17.3" is Desktop class, but battery life in that thing is crappy and it is not a slim 17" laptop but it's weight is not that much.

MSIGS75 can fit in a 15.6" bag.

Plus Real-Time-Ray-Tracing on RTX2080 MAX-Q is not better than RTX 2070 (Desktop), maybe NVIDIA will fix this buy updating drivers.

What do you guys suggest. Money is not a problem. I really want to go for RTX 2070 (Desktop)

Feb 2, 2019
Thank you for your reply @Lutfij, but do you think that spending extra $500 for a non-desktop class GPU (RTX2080 MAX-Q) is worth it. Cause clearly in benchmarks it is slower than an RTX 2070 (Desktop). In Ray Tracing at-least. I would have gone for GTX1080 (Desktop) laptop, but I'd like to see Ray Tacing in games. I'm care about the visuals in games.

Feb 2, 2019
I'm having the same dilemma. But why not go for the GE75 with the full 2080 Mobile Version? Especially if money is not an issue. The RTX 2080 full mobile version is probably 15% more powerful than the Max Q. If storage is also important to you, the GS75 has 3 M.2 drive slots available while the GE75 has 2 M.2 drives and a 2.5" hard drive slot. M.2 NVME is limited to 2TB while 2.5" Sata goes up to 4TB, so potentially you can have 6TB on the GS75 and 10TB on the GE75. Another difference is the speakers are supposed to be a lot better on the GE75, it has 4 speakers vs the G75's 2 smaller ones.

Here's the rest of a pros cons list of what I can think of.

GE75:
+Better Full Mobile 2080
+Better Speakers
+2.5" HDD option
+Full Size SD Card Reader
+Rumble feature(haptic feedback like in gaming controllers)
+/-Slightly Bigger (possibly better thermals)
-Slightly Heavier (less than 1lb difference)
-Worse Battery Life (~20-25% less)
- Old Design Trackpad

GS75:
+ Better Design
+ Thinner
+ Lighter
+ Longer Battery life
+Updated trackpad
- Worse speakers
- Limited Max Q 20280
- Possibly worse thermals
- Micro SD card Reader

I think I'd be happy with either one, but I'm going to wait to see how bad the speakers are in the GS75. If they're as poor as some people are claiming I will probably go with the GE75. It would also be reassuring to know I'd have the best version of the mobile RTX 2080. Hopefully Best Buy will get both in stock soon so I can try them out.

Feb 2, 2019
You're right, msi GS75 has it's own perks, thinner, newer design. But that RTX 2080 Max-Q is not that great for games with RAY-TRACING. I mean in Battlefield V without Ray-Tracing, Avg. FPS count was around 90-100, but after enabling the Ray-Tracing that count decreased to 45 FPS. I know NVIDIA will eventually rollout new drivers. But when you are paying $3000 for a computer, you gotta be sure that your decision is right.

While GE73 has a full RTX 2080, but the battery backup on that laptop is not great, I know it's a gaming machine but still I'll need to take the laptop in my lectures.

According to RAY-TRACING benchmarks (3DMark Port Royal)
- RTX 2080 Max-Q is only 7-8% FASTER than RTX 2060 (Desktop GPU)

Feb 3, 2019
im going through the same thought process. btw GE75 has a card reader too!

so its just down to the weight(1lb), Size( 6-5mm of thickness) and looks ¬ leaning towards GE 2080, since GS/maxQ = waste of time and $$$.

only down side I see for the GE is its really horrible looks. the GS looks so much cleaner with those gold trims whereas GE just looks like it came out of a blender.

Feb 2, 2019
I actually think the GE75 looks pretty good for being a "gaming laptop" certainly better than most of the past years gaming laptops. It's not that much bigger than the GS and still has those slim bezels that look nice. Sure the GS75 looks better, but that comes at a cost, limiting GPU options to the Max Q GPUs unless you want a 2060. From all the reviews so far it looks like the MaxQ versions aren't much better than the 10 series GPU's benchmark wise. The problem for me is that the price of the 2080 is really high. The configuration I want to build of either GS or GE 75 tops $4k with all the memory I want to put in it. I don't think I can justify that. Might have to wait until some deals come out this summer or black friday this year..hopefully the new intel mobile chips will be out by then as well. The next Dell XPS might use them I hear.... ah decision decisions. Must be nice to be rich.

Feb 2, 2019
I was building my own on GentechPc and probably went a little overboard on the memory with 2x2TB NVMes and a 4TB SSD. I have a large digital movie collection, I also do a lot of video editing and like to have everything in one place, and I want to be able to store a lot of games on the laptop. I wish HDDs went higher than 2tb. I suppose I could save a lot by skipping out on the 4tbSSD ($600-700). I did manage to do a 4.5TB build with a 2070 for $3171. I'm not sure if I would regret not getting the 2080 or not. From some of the bench marks I've seen the 2070 in the GE is only slightly less powerful than the 2080 MaxQ thats in the GS. I don't have a 4k monitor yet, and I don't play competitively or play a lot of FPSs so the high frame rates aren't as big of a deal to me. I was even considering possibly going the rout of the 2060 in the GS75... but idk, I might regret that in a few years.

Here's some bench marks that have been influencing my thinking

https://www.notebookcheck.net/We-benchmark-the-mobile-RTX-2060-2070-and-2080-Max-Q-and-compare-them-to-the-desktop-RTX-2080-and-GTX-1080.402036.0.html

Feb 3, 2019
pauly u could consider having a NAS at home XD and connect the NAS to ur laptop XD, I just started 2 years ago and found it much better than having a huge as storage on my laptop. Oh and I just saw other threads saying GE75 Low FPS ! maybe u should sit tight for a sec :0 I haven't checked it out yet.

Feb 2, 2019
I saw that too :/ Hoping its a driver issue. I've seen some games that play really well with high FPS but others not so much. As for storage, I've never set up a NAS system before, is it easy? External storage probably is a good idea since it's much cheaper to go that route. The only problem is I'm on the go a lot and prefer to travel as light as possible. I suppose a small external drive wouldnt be that cumbersome. I'd prefer to be able to have all my movies and games all local on my my laptop if possible though. Right now I have 3TB internal storage and I only have about 500GB free. Thats without a lot games installed. If I could get some more breathing room with around 4.5-5TB I'd probably be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS