MSI laptop turns on, but screen is dead (not black, completely dead).

Raymond_13

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
I recently bought a MSI gs60 laptop. The laptop has been working fine until today, when I opened it, the computer turned on (the power button lights up, and the steel series keyboard lights up as well). The screen remains dead (not a black screen), as in, it doesn't turn on. I've tried pressing the button that turns on and off the monitor, and I've also tried connecting a monitor, but the monitor says it is receiving no signal. I have to hold the power button and hard reboot it. Afterwards, if i turn the computer on, it still doesn't work. I've tried hard rebooting many times, but each time after I turn on the computer, the screen is still dead. Finally, if i firmly slap the computer, then the fan instantly becomes slightly louder. Then I hard reboot it, and the computer works as if I had just rebooted it normally.

At first this was only happening when I closed my laptop, to sleep or hibernate. However, just a while ago, it actually just blacked out while I was working.

Also, while the screen is black, I think I can still "use" the computer. When the screen turned black once, I pressed "windows" + "R", then "cmd", and entered in "shutdown -h". The entire computer (power button, keyboard, cpu... screen was already dead), turned off after a few moments.

Any ideas why this is happening, and is there a way to fix it?

Raymond_13

Estimable
Jan 26, 2016
I bought it from Amazon, but I moved to a different country after I bought it. I only picked up as a gift from family after visiting home during a university break.

Also, I've confirmed that so far the only way I can turn my computer on is by:
1. turning the computer on (keyboard and power button lights up).
2. I have to smack the right side of the computer keyboard. The computer fan will whir up.
3. Hold power button for 3 seconds.
4. Turn the computer on like normal.

I feel that smacking the computer every time can't be good for it though. And is losing all my computer tabs and programs isn't very appealing. Do you have any suggestions for possible sources of the problem? I can try updates, drivers, etc...?