MSI Launches First Gaming Laptop with '3K' Screen Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Ummm, I do not see that card being able to push that resolution well during games... and can't imagine the heat the system will produce in a small form factor when trying to push said resolution. Maybe if you tone down the graphics level in game, but then you're defeating the purpose of having the better resolution. I just don't see this to be a wise purchase, at least not for gaming as they're pushing it for.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
"MSI calls the GTG0 the first "3K" gaming laptop. However, the MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch has an even higher resolution, at 2880 x 1800 (versus MSI's 2880 x 1620). Since Apple does not label the MBP as a "gaming laptop," MSI's claim is technically correct — perhaps first PC 3K gaming laptop would be more accurate, though."

Macs are PCs, they're just not Windows-based PCs. Regardless, I don't think anyone would argue Macs are good gaming PCs, especially laptops. Lastly, who in their right mind uses a $2200 (starting price) laptop as their primary gaming PC?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I'm pumped to see this; can't believe people are already complaining about there being 'too many' pixels to drive. There are other uses for it than gaming, you know, and even so, we don't have to turn EVERYTHING into a fifty-pound behemoth just because someone out there wants to max out everything ever made at full resolution... by that logic, all 1080p laptops should be built like the Panther 5D that was just reviewed. Anyway...

Keep it up!. Maybe this will bleed over and we can all have our 4K 24" desktop monitors. At the very least, I'd love to have a 3K in my G75, or whatever is going to replace it in several years. Working in Blender and AfterEffects would be so much more pleasant, not to mention accurate. We're slowly making progress!

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
someguynamedmatt

Its built by MSI and has a rainbow colored keyboard.... its a gaming laptop. I have a beautiful Dell 1440p and it is a lot of pixels to drive. Games can choke even the best cards with all the eye candy turned up. And I'm using desktop parts.

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
"This is the first laptop to support NVidia's Surround technology, allowing the laptop to work with three external monitors, through the laptop's single HDMI port and two mini-Display ports."

That is untrue: "Matrix display features 2 external display , allowing you to output to 2 displays simultaneously using HDMI 1.4, and VGA port. Users can work with multi-task at same time. (Overall 3 monitors include notebook's monitor on GE series)" - http://ca.msi.com/product/nb/GE60-2OE-002US.html#overview

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Who makes reliable/quality gaming laptops? I know it isn't Razors, because when razors owners aren't using them, they are most likely RMAing them.

Ivan Kartov

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
15.6 inch screen size combined with 3K resolution? Well ok, you can connect up to 3 monitors, but this is a portable pc. Why on earth would someone buy such a powerful portable tiny sized machine when you can only get the full benefit of it by connecting to external monitors? Also, heating would be of great concern when that GPU will be heavy loaded. I just don't get the point.

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I was mistaken. I meant the previous generation laptops could already support 3 monitors simultaneously. But I see they meant 3 external monitors excluding the laptop's monitor.

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Nice, so instead of advancing the generation of better graphics, advance the generation of better resolution so we can leap back one and be able to play Far Cry 1 at this resolution!

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I was mistaken. I meant the previous generation laptops could already support 3 monitors simultaneously. But I see they meant 3 external monitors excluding the laptop's monitor.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The fan that laptop uses is 12V, very uncommon in a laptop. It moves ALOT of air of Cool Booster mode so the components stay cool.
I wish this 3K screen was available on the -2OC model as well, not just -2OD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS