Multiple Display on Laptop

adrenalytic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hi All,

I have a custom built gaming laptop (GeForce GTX1060) that I am just trying to plug into my 50" Hisense 4k TV as a secondary display so I can watch media while I work on the main screen of the laptop.

The problem is that I interface with the TV via HDMI fine but it only clones my desktop rather than creating an extension of my desktop.

I looked into my nVidia settings. When there is no connection to the TV, my nVidia settings look like this:

unknown.png

And when I hook up the TV it looks like this:

unknown.png

Only the TV shows up as the available display so I can't do the usual drag and drop of multi-display configurations that you can do with a desktop.

It looks like my laptop display is set to be managed by the onboard graphics by default. Which seems strange for a gaming laptop.

I guess my final question is: Is there a way to force my laptop display to be managed by the nvidia card?

Please don't hesitate to ask for more specs. I provided what I thought was relevant and appropriate but will provide more on request.

Thanks.

Edit: This is a Windows 10 rig

Without a game or some other program running that uses the GTX card, by default it will go to the lower power Intel video for default use. If it has issues switching to the nVidia card during games, or want to use it all the time, there should be an option there to switch to the nVidia card as default.