Murderer Uses Google Earth to Target Victim

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AsianJetlag

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Fuck the legal system. Seriously. A case like this gets a 6-day trial to end in "unanimous conviction"?

Tax dollars well spent.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
heh. We normally have stories saying how Apple products save people's lives, yet today we have one giving google som responsibility for a murder. I love this site...

What sort of cretin orders a taxi to escape a murder crime scene?

G

"Why in god's name would they let him live, and eventually let him free, for what he did?"

Because draconian sentences fosters more crime, not less.

With capital punishment on the agenda, and liberally applied, there's no reason for a criminal to not kill any innocent bystander and law enforcement official even remotely close to identifying or capturing them. After all, it's not as they'd be risking anything more by doing so.

Putting people, violent criminals or not, in a situation where they have nothing to lose is a _very_ poor idea.

Your opinion does shed light on one of the more common misconceptions of our time however, that of how people judge the justice system. The point isn't to punish criminals, it's to prevent further crimes from being committed.

The purpose of the justice system is not to appease victims, or families of victims, by some medieval measure of eye-for-an-eye punishment. Rather it's tasked to protect the general populace from crime and abuse to the extent possible without infringing on the liberties and freedoms of said populace.

Sometimes that entails locking people up for a long time, though the reason for doing so is protecting the rest of society - not punishing the criminal.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
remember, wanting someone killed because you can't stand them... smacks of neo-nazism... how do you think a crazy guy they hitler convinced an entire country to hate one group... (yes the murder spoken of in the story is evil... but the U.K. has been around longer than the U.S.A., so I would assume they know what their doing... (unlike the U.S. whom 20% of the time can't think straight..)

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
It's sad that she wasn't allowed to own a hand gun.

She might still be alive, and the taxpayers might not have to pay to support his worthless ass for the next 34+ years.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Goldeknob[/nom]and he could have just drove by and looked...[/citation]

Exactly. Not like he wouldn't have done it anyway had he not had Google Earth.

G

Internet is bad, games are making kids aggressive pfff....

when will I finally hear something good? Like: errr... Boy found out how to cure cancer, by surfing on internet... or something like that.

MartenKL

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
eddieroolz 05/21/2010 7:01 AM
Japan has one of the lowest crime rates of any nation in the world, and they have capital punishment.

It is education that makes the most difference in any society.

Japan is a pascifist state as demanded by the UN. The state does not train a military to kill people and the state doesn't send people to foreign countries to kill people for the will of the government.

Also Japan is leading in health and low poverty.

So using Japan to compare to the UK and the US today when it comes to crime statistics is highly irrelevant.

When looking at the murders/millions capita ranking all the top nations are poor in general and have severe problems with large parts of the population as outsiders.

First country on the list with general wealth is the US. More striking than the US is Finland with good wealth and few poor people almost as high on the ranking as the US. But they love their rights to weapons as much.

Capitol punishment is a thing of the past as well as religion. Human nature is evolving to become more human and try to solve problems rather than punish. This is evolution.

By the way:
"Murderer used public roads to access victims house"

or
"Victim of CIA funded poppy field production became callous murderer." (Look up Afghan history if you don't understand)

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Wait a second, he is eligible for release?! Premeditated murder involving torture of an elderly lady, and he is eligible for release? Mind boggling. How is that justice? I am not saying life in prison is fun, but he is going to be fed, clothed and medicated in prison with taxpayer dollars, and he has a chance to be released... I think they need to bring back public execution and guillotines. I think thats a little better deterrent.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Yet, another crime that the media will be eager to blame on the internet. The internet didn't in any way made that man murder this poor woman, nor did it facilitate his act by any mean. 20 years ago, he would have walk in her neighborhood and spotted her house anyway.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Formerly called casing a joint it will now become known as "Googling the aspect".

There is something peculiarly nasty about people who target elderly, infirm victims. But capital punishment belongs in the dark-ages. It is barbaric.

alienmadness

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Death Penalty! One does not prevent the other, but it sure saves a lot of $$ by not supporting the @ss for 37 years while in prision. Your hard earned tax dollars at working feeding this creep and letting him watch TV all day long.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Yep, the Internet is evil. We already knew that. I suspect this crime will be the basis for more government spying and another lame TV movie.[/citation]
the internet is not eveil... people are.

Guns don't kill people... People kill people.

If this nut job didnt have the internet he still would have killed that old lady and robbed her.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I can't believe how many wannabe murders are on this site. I thought that all sane, rational people in the world today realized that the death penalty is wrong. 'Eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind'.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]By "there" i assume you mean the UK, and thankfully no, we don't have the death penalty. The murderer is clearly F*&cked up, and he is now in prison. This crime is clearly involving alot of problems that our society has to deal with. Sadly, executing him will not solve any of them.Capital punishment is remarkably ineffective, in fact, the countries with the highest murder rates all have capital punishment. I'm not saying one causes the other, but clearly, one is not preventing the other either.[/citation]

It would clearly solve the problem of having to feed and shelter that scumbag for the next 34 years... I would even argue that an expeditive show trial followed by a back alley execution would be even better!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Yep, the Internet is evil. We already knew that. I suspect this crime will be the basis for more government spying and another lame TV movie.[/citation]

[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]the internet is not eveil... people are.Guns don't kill people... People kill people.If this nut job didnt have the internet he still would have killed that old lady and robbed her.[/citation]

Do you know what sarcasm mean?

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
part of this is kinda englands fault. they have such strict gun control that criminals know you dont have a weapon and dont worry about getting on in their ass when they break into your house. i can almost guarantee that texas has one of the lowest per capita home burglary rates since its legal to shoot a mf dead when he enters your house here.

G

"part of this is kinda englands fault. they have such strict gun control that criminals know you dont have a weapon and dont worry about getting on in their ass when they break into your house."

Clearly the proliferation of handguns amongst the general populace have been a major deterrent against the arbitrary use excessive, even deadly, force.

/sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS