Solved! my asus x509fj laptop battery not charging while plugged in

Sep 29, 2021
have been facing issues of battery not charging while plugged in. sometimes the battery charges like 10 or 15 % and stops. doesn't show the charging text but just plugged in.
have tried updating drivers and bios etc.

Solution
Your battery may be at end of life. Download a diagnostic test from the Asus web site and run a battery test. Should tell you the state of the battery. There is a small possibility the charging circuitry inside the laptop is broken but if the laptop is several years old and you run it on battery often, the battery is likely bad. Be careful about where you buy a replacement battery. Some of them are very poor quality. Buying from Asus (if they still have the battery) is the safest and most expensive.
Your battery may be at end of life. Download a diagnostic test from the Asus web site and run a battery test. Should tell you the state of the battery. There is a small possibility the charging circuitry inside the laptop is broken but if the laptop is several years old and you run it on battery often, the battery is likely bad. Be careful about where you buy a replacement battery. Some of them are very poor quality. Buying from Asus (if they still have the battery) is the safest and most expensive.

Solution

mrmike16

Honorable
I would agree with you, but after a quick search of the laptop I see it was released in 2019. That's not really old enough for the battery to be this bad, unless it was overcharged way too often or something. No harm in checking, though.

Check the My ASUS software for an option to change your battery charging threshold. It should be at 95% or 96%, and if it is at 15%, change it. Here's a guide from ASUS on managing your battery health- ASUS Battery Health Charging - Introduction | Official Support | ASUS Global
There are sometimes settings to set a charging threshold in order to preserve the battery capacity, like on a Surface that's on a dock all of the time.

Sep 29, 2021
I would agree with you, but after a quick search of the laptop I see it was released in 2019. That's not really old enough for the battery to be this bad, unless it was overcharged way too often or something. No harm in checking, though.

Check the My ASUS software for an option to change your battery charging threshold. It should be at 95% or 96%, and if it is at 15%, change it. Here's a guide from ASUS on managing your battery health- ASUS Battery Health Charging - Introduction | Official Support | ASUS Global
There are sometimes settings to set a charging threshold in order to preserve the battery capacity, like on a Surface that's on a dock all of the time.

Asus has their own diagnostic app called myasus and I tried running a battery checkup and it showed the problem with a bad battery/adapter. it's not the adapter since I tried other adapters and the problem still continued. most of the time my laptop is plugged in but the charging threshold was set to 70%. i have noticed that the charging indicator light doesn't change from orange to white even though (sometimes) the battery manages to charge to around 83%.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrmike16

Honorable
Asus has their own diagnostic app called myasus and I tried running a battery checkup and it showed the problem with a bad battery/adapter. it's not the adapter since I tried other adapters and the problem still continued. most of the time my laptop is plugged in but the charging threshold was set to 70%. i have noticed that the charging indicator light doesn't change from orange to white even though (sometimes) the battery manages to charge to around 83%.

If it isn't being done by the ASUS software on purpose (battery threshold that I have mentioned in my last post), then it appears that the previous poster was correct and that you have a battery reaching its end of life.