My BRAND-NEW Lenovo Ideapad 310 is slow but has great specs.

LeotheLaptopLover

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
So my dad got me a new laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 310) but the computer is very slow and I do not know why, because the internet connection is great and so are the specs.

12GB DDR4 RAM
AMD A12, 7th Gen. APU - Quad-Core 2.5GHz Processor, AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
1TB HDD 5400RPM
I don't understand why it is so slow. Please help me!

Solution
Well for one is has a 5400rpm HDD, a high percentage of people have the 7200rpm as it is a lot faster but most of to big for laptops to fit in. Yours is a bit slower but its quiet due to the less noise and is laptop sized.

Whats OS do you have?

Do you know the full name of the CPU as i am struggling to find it online, I'm looking on Lenovo's site and i can only find a laptop with an AMD A10-9600P.

You could try using Ccleaner to remove all mess and registry that has been left behind by installs, updates an general browser use.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Well for one is has a 5400rpm HDD, a high percentage of people have the 7200rpm as it is a lot faster but most of to big for laptops to fit in. Yours is a bit slower but its quiet due to the less noise and is laptop sized.

Whats OS do you have?

Do you know the full name of the CPU as i am struggling to find it online, I'm looking on Lenovo's site and i can only find a laptop with an AMD A10-9600P.

You could try using Ccleaner to remove all mess and registry that has been left behind by installs, updates an general browser use.

Solution

LeotheLaptopLover

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
It is slow doing things like loading up regular pages like Toms Guide, Youtube, and other websites. It takes about 4 to 7 seconds to load up these pages and these specs just dont live up their name.

Wayfall

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
If you want fast loading you need an SSD, if i took my SSD out of my desktop and put my old HDD in Chrome would load a lot slower (not to mention the whole OS) due to all the cache and temp files Chrome uses. You parents laptop is mid tier, my parents have two around the same price and specs and they just chugs along steadily but not speedy.

The moment you throw an SSD the pc will wizz as with a HDD the CPU has to wait for a drive with physical parts find files and pass them along, SSD's have no moving parts and fast cache so they are speedy.

LeotheLaptopLover

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017

LeotheLaptopLover

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017

matthew.osment

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Hi,

The other answers here are clearly not very good, if you're having the same problem as I was on my Yoga 310 it's nothing to do with the hard drive,

I went into Power Options, changed my profile to "High Power" and under the "Processor Power Management" drop down of the Advanced Settings changed the minimum and maximum power to 100% when on battery.

I can now see a massive performance increase by just plugging it in so I'm confident this was the root of my problems,

Hope that helps