"My" DELL XPS M1730 review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Maziar: I am building my entry into the World's Fastest Notebook competition today. I am gunning for 14,000 3D06 Marks with a little TLC.

I have seen SLi give on average 25-30% more performance. That is by no means a hard and fast rule, but it gets you close when you are mentally comparing cost vs. performance.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Keep in mind that with how much 3dmark06 loves CPU, this computer would probably get quite a bit higher of a score with the X9000 @ 3.4GHz (Dell allows overclocking on the X models)

vochtige

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I really liked your review Maziar.
you really need to get payed for it :p

i'm working to get money now, i own an old p4 system.
i'm just wandering to buy new parts for 700 euro, or to buy notebook. i have already one notebook (but not a gamething)

what should you do. like you said it's a good desktop replacement. but if you don't really need mobile, is it worth the money?

thanks man!

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

I am using a Q9650 1333 fsb 3.0 Ghz 45 nm Penryn quad core with 12 MB cache... I am not concerned with a lowly mobile cpu ;)

I modify the system to offload Windows background processes (which normally take up to 15%) to the 3'rd and 4th core leaving the first and second core virtually overhead free to take on any game or benchmark. To give you an idea, the tweaks and mods I do to the O.S. & software alone take up 18 PDF pages from start to finish.

It will be a termite vs. a chainsaw.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

The X9000 should actually beat the Q9650 in the graphics tests (they don't really seem to care about extra cores). Of course, the CPU tests will be slaughter...

That's not necessarily true. 3Dmark06 likes clock speed. If you compare them at stock, the 3.0ghz Q9650 will/should beat out the 2.8ghz X9000 with or without optimization for the extra 2 cores. If OC'ing gets tossed into the mix, the X9000 will make up ground with its unlocked multiplier. In this case FSB may or may not play a factor since the Q has a 1333 FSB while the X is limited to an 800 FSB (again at stock).

It should also be noted that Mark spends a crapload of time making sure that each system runs to its fullest potential. BTW Mark, does that turbo button work on the Odachi as well? ;)

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

Unfortunately no, they have this thing completely locked down. You can pin mod the CPU if you use a Q6600 series and bring it to 3.0 Ghz and 1333 fsb, but that is the only way I have seen over clocking done in this chassis. There was a BIOS mod floating around but the guy who wrote it said something in it was messed up and he burned out his system and doesn't share t anymore.

Clock for clock, if both systems have Windows overhead, and the quad is handling it in the 3rd and 4th core, leaving the main two cores essentially wide open for use (and in this case the increased fsb) it should theoretically increase the available processing power to make it on par with any dual core out there. On real-world systems this effect will be much more pronounced if you move the anti viri/spyware/malware engines to the 3rd and 4th cores also.

thanks mate :)

Well actually the advantage of this laptop over a desktop is that its alot quieter and takes a lot less place, i really didnt needed a portable laptop i needed a Desktop replacement and i am very happy with this beast :d :)

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

The X9000 is unlocked for OCing in the dell BIOS. Most people who have it run at around 3.4GHz. I'd be quite surprised if the Q9650 could be overclocked much in laptop cooling, so the X9000 would probably win on anything single threaded.

Just FYI, that CPU can be overclocked in any system as long as the manu allows it (Sager/ Clevo allows it). That's the beauty of the X**** CPUs. I know people that own one will OC it, I was just using stock as a reference. And OC'd, yes the X9000 would win.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
One thing I noticed were the relatively high temps for the GPU (75C idle, 92C stress) but I guess that really depends on the ambient temperature. What was room temp when you took that measurement? (Just a guess, or something, for curiosity's sake)

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, it's really a balance. I think I'd personally prefer a cooler laptop that's a bit louder, but then again, you can always get a notebook cooler to keep temps cool. It's kinda hard to mod a laptop to be quieter :p

Oh right, and congrats Maziar, the laptop is a beast :D

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

Definitely - I was just specifying because not everyone who sells them allows overclocking. The perplexing one to me actually is that Dell allows overclocking, but Alienware doesn't.

thanks mate :)

well in summer here is very hot,the temp outside is about 39c in morning and goes to 32c in night,its very hot here :D thats why my temps are high.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006

The Dells allow OC'ing now? When did this happen? :p Then again, last time I heard Dell and Overclock being said in the same sentence it was people talking about the T7600G processor that Dell offered. And that was a while ago.

To Maziar: Yeah, I guess my computer gets the benefits of the Canadian winter more than I do. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.