My edifier s330d subwoofer sounds really muffled and distorted

WarLordM16

Honorable
May 17, 2013
I was having a problem with my sub where at loud volumes or certain frequencies it sounded as if it was blown. So I took a look after getting irritated and the lining of the foam and cone on my subwoofer started to separate; it not tare at all, but just separate. So I took it upon myself to take a little nail glue and cotton swab to line the top of the cone where it was separating and glue it back down. But since I've done that the sound is horrible and muffled. There has been no loss of power at all. Just a muffled rugged sound that's not very pleasing to the ears. My sound system is my is my therapy so if someone could help me, I would appreciate it greatly.

quick update. It's starting to crackle too.

Solution
It sounds like you tried to repair the surround which connects the cone of the speaker to the basket. This has to be done with great precision since the voice coil of the speaker has to be centered and if it isn't the speaker will make scraping noises. It's also possible that you had already damaged the speaker by operating it while the surround was bad. Contact Edifier to see if they can sell you a new woofer. It would need a pro to repair the speaker and would probably cost more than a replacement.
It sounds like you tried to repair the surround which connects the cone of the speaker to the basket. This has to be done with great precision since the voice coil of the speaker has to be centered and if it isn't the speaker will make scraping noises. It's also possible that you had already damaged the speaker by operating it while the surround was bad. Contact Edifier to see if they can sell you a new woofer. It would need a pro to repair the speaker and would probably cost more than a replacement.

Solution