My favorite laptop of the year was completely unexpected

Dec 25, 2021
I expect a modern laptop to be sealed, slim, light and of sufficient quality to last several years without any need to repair. I think the notion of swapping out parts is 10 years out of date.

Dec 30, 2021
I expect a modern laptop to be sealed, slim, light and of sufficient quality to last several years without any need to repair. I think the notion of swapping out parts is 10 years out of date.
I disagree. The Framework is incredibly slim and light, and even though it can be easily opened, when everything is screwed into place the laptop is very solidly held together.

And there is no such thing as never needing repair. Even the highest quality laptops could find themselves needing repair. For example, every lithium ion battery in the world is a consumable that will eventually need replacing, and if the battery is hidden behind multiple proprietary screws and clips while also being glued in, then that instantly lessens the appeal of having the machine be long-lasting. And if someone has an accident, such as dropping their laptop as they're moving it up to a desk for a presentation, the laptop will likely need replacement parts for the chassis, display, or anything else that got damaged.

The Framework laptop doesn't make parts swappable as a gimmick or party trick, nor does it expect people to constantly be changing parts day in and day out. It simply makes it as easy to do so without compromising on things like weight or thinness so that should a customer ever need to upgrade or repair their laptop, they can easily do so for a reasonable price.

rocwoof

Honorable
May 27, 2017
I would like to see them extend their concept to an ARM-based unit, which probably should be driven by a Raspberry Pi 4 compute module, with some other size variants to be considered such as in the 10-12 inch range ala the Asus Transformer books, albeit a bit more sturdy.

Actually, I would love to see a modern incarnation of my Fujitsu 8.9 inch Lifebook P series ultra portable favorites with half their thickness and higher res touch screens, and non-chiclet keyboard with an optical Trackpoint in what would be pretty much a copy of the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 bluetooth keyboard that I typically lay right on top of most of my laptops' annoying touchpad/keyboards ;-} ).