My HP is going crazy

Jonalexandria

Estimable
Feb 15, 2015
Hi my name is Alexandria. I have an HP laptop and it won't cooperate. I turn it on and the screen is completely black and it has lines going across the screen as if it were a television set put to a channel that does not exist. This first happened when I was watching a movie and I connected it to another computer to get a larger screen so others will be able to watch. Then in the middle of the movie it just goes crazy. It doesn't shut down or anything. So I force shut down. I tried to turn it on every now and then to see if it would stop, it hasn't. It's been almost a month, please help. I want to see if I could fix it myself instead of having to take it to the shop and spend money on it if I can probably do it alone. Much appreciation!

Ck1_13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Sorry to hear about your woes, I'll try and cover all the bases. Just to be sure, when you start your laptop, when does the bad screen occur, for instance do you see an HP logo ok, then windows starts to boot but screen goes whacky , or it goes whacky as soon as you turn it on.

If the latter is the case, then you have some sort of hardware issue I'm afraid. Try putting a fan beside it for extra cooling, see if this helps by chance. FYI you can , most of the time, buy another video card and install it, if you do in fact have a broken video card, which would be cheaper than a new laptop.

If you can get the HP logo ok, 'then' it gets garbled, try tapping the 'f8' key at startup, after the hp logo but before windows logo , and you should get a black screen with options, and if so choose 'safe mode' from the list, and see if you can boot. If you can see safe mode option, but when you boot it goes whacky, you may simply need to repair or reinstall windows.