My Laptop and the Internet

Work Uber Alles

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016
I don't know what on earth is happening.

At my house, the max Internet speed is something like 32 KB/s. I found that out when I tried to download games onto my laptop (keep in mind these games are only a few GB).

But this wasn't always the case. For instance, around mid 2015, I downloaded Rome Total War in around 30 minutes but now Steam says it will take at least a day. Why the sudden drop in Internet speed?

The only reasons I can think of are:
1. We recently upgraded our Internet from 50 to 200 GB so maybe that's a factor (highly unlikely though).
2. A boarder occupied a room and he's been using the Internet (quite a bit) ever since (likely).

The only problem with no. 2 is that even when he's not in the house, all his devices are off and my laptop is the only one using Internet, I still get ABYSMAL speeds. And this has happened even when I've used a mere 16% of the Internet usage so I don't think it's a result of the company reducing the speed because our house has used up all the Internet.

Please help me.

Solution
What kind of service you have? There is no "200GB service", probably 200GB is your monthly cap.
To prove your point: If you have separate modem and router, connect your PC directly to the modem, and check your speed again. If this is a combo device, disable Wireless, disconnect everything else but your PC, and test. If you still get 20kb/sec, call your ISP.
What kind of service you have? There is no "200GB service", probably 200GB is your monthly cap.
To prove your point: If you have separate modem and router, connect your PC directly to the modem, and check your speed again. If this is a combo device, disable Wireless, disconnect everything else but your PC, and test. If you still get 20kb/sec, call your ISP.

Solution

Work Uber Alles

Estimable
Jan 8, 2016

Called ISP. Problem solved.