My Laptop Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerGamer25

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
I have a major dilemma. I need to buy a new gaming laptop (after my Mom broke my like-new Gaming Laptop I purchased in 2010. Don't ask how she broke it. I just want to forget one of the most expensive things I owned got ruined!).

So I hate Windows 10 and all the gaming laptops come with it installed. I can't imagine spending $1,500-$2,000 for a gaming laptop with an operating system I would hate. iBuyPower said that MSI gaming laptops will only support Windows 10 and that a Battalion laptop would most likely not run smoothly if I uninstalled Windows 10 and replaced it with Windows 7.

Can anyone really good with laptops help me out? If I post the specifications can you tell me if I can uninstall Windows 10 and replace it with Windows 7? I've been dragging my feet for 2 months now because I hate Windows 10.

Solution

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
I understand why you dislike W10 as I am not a big fan either, but I still use it. It has improved a lot performance wise, and now I can't imagine moving back to 7 or 8.

I just tweak a few things to make it seem more like W7. If you follow the instructions in THIS guide.....you'll hardly know the difference. Honest!
;)

BTW, have you considered buying a "gaming desktop" instead of a more expensive, yet possibly slower "gaming laptop"?

ComputerGamer25

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
It's good to know I could change the start menu into something similar to Windows 7 using the guide you suggested. What about the indexing and search ability? Is that as good as Windows 7?

I heard from people that Windows 10 isn't good at indexing and searching files. Is that true?

Also, I heard Windows 10 has pop-up advertisements from Microsoft saying "Buy this Microsoft Product." Is that true and if so can those be disabled too?

I also heard Windows 10 takes all your data and sends it to Microsoft and there's an even bigger backdoor in the system for the NSA and other spy-agencies? Anyway to stop Microsoft from having your system send them all your data? And is it true Windows 10 really does have a big backdoor so the NSA can just go into your computer anytime they feel like it or is that part just hyped by conspiracy people?

ComputerGamer25

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

I can't find out if new MSI Laptops have drivers for Windows 7. I don't know what company makes Battalion laptops. I googled various search terms for Battalion laptops and found nothing.

Maybe Windows 10 won't be as bad as I thought based on what Neur0nauT posted, but I still have some questions in regards to Windows 10 which will help me decide whether to just accept Windows 10.

I think I have heard Windows 10 better for gaming.

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014

You can set the privacy settings in Windows 10 during the install so that none of the info is sent to MS servers, after that, the only way that they could possibly garner any knowledge about you is via your MS login.....again you can opt out of using an MS login also during the setup process of and just define a local profile. (you lose things like Onedrive cloud storage etc then)

So IMO a lot of the NSA stuff is paranoid hyperbole. To be honest...if the NSA want to find out about somebody.....they probably already know regardless.

Regarding the search.....I switch Cortana taskbar off and just have Windows log straight onto my desktop without using the Metro screen. (can be done in settings) Clicking on the start button, you can start to type and it will use autosearch which is much the same as the old search only it indexes a lot faster than the old one and also searches online. The old one is still there obviously too. (Win+F)

So once you tweak it a little bit to your liking, and get used to the new layout and certain placement of things, you'll see that there is not really that much of a difference except for the new overlaying GUI of Windows 10 metro shell.

Solution

ComputerGamer25

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

It's been more than 6 years since I got a new computer. So when I turn it on once I unpack it from the shipping box, the OS is already installed but it boots up and I choose a name for the computer. There are steps during that 1st boot process where I can set the privacy setting so no info goes to MS? Or do I set the privacy in the User Control Panel?

What about Microsoft Advertisements? Are those something that can be stopped too?

Neur0nauT

Estimable
Dec 1, 2014
It's been more than 6 years since I got a new computer. So when I turn it on once I unpack it from the shipping box, the OS is already installed but it boots up and I choose a name for the computer. There are steps during that 1st boot process where I can set the privacy setting so no info goes to MS? Or do I set the privacy in the User Control Panel?

What about Microsoft Advertisements? Are those something that can be stopped too?

If the PC comes out of the box as uninitialised, then it will start up and go through the user setup process which includes the privacy config toggle sliders (I usually just switch them all off).... If it comes with a pre-configured user and boots straight into windows, then you can change all of those same options from with settings/privacy menu (much the same as control panel)

Look here:Changing Privacy settings in W10

The adverts you speak of...I think you are referring to the live tiles on the Metro start button, which update with adverts for xbox and weather/news etc. If you set to boot into desktop and use Classic Shell....then you wont see these. Other than that....there are no other advert-type things happening.

If you don't use Classic Shell start menu, then you can disable tiles: Disabling Live tiles in Windows 10

Like I said....you can pretty much tweak W10 to behave a lot like W7 and you'll start to notice some of the benefits of it thereafter.

Here are some keyboard shortcut that will come in useful: best Windows keyboard shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.