My laptop display doesn't work... usually

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hi everyone, I was wondering if you can help me with my laptop display troubles.

The laptop's display only works sometimes. Sometimes it will work when I turn it on, sometimes it won't. When it does work, it displays the video signal from Windows perfectly and has no issues at all, but then after putting the computer on sleep/shutting the lid, when bringing it back from sleep it usually does not work.

When it doesn't work from boot, not even the pre-boot sequence is seen (which also means I can't access the bios), leading me to think it is a hardware problem, not a software problem. There is not even a faint image, it is just a plain black screen that acts as if it hasn't been turned on (like no power is going to the display). However, occasionally, when bringing it back from sleep, it will turn on.

Playing around with the angle of the laptop lid doesn't make any difference to whether it works or not.

The webcam and microphone built in to the display bezel work perfectly fine both when the display is working and when it isn't.

I don't think it is a problem with the onboard graphics because I currently use the laptop by hooking it up to a monitor via HDMI.

I've already tried to fix the problem in a variety of ways, including the removed battery & holding down power button method, removing and reinserting RAM, reinstalling all chipset & graphics drivers, and restoring/updating bios.

The next thing I plan to do is replace the display cable, but I'm not even sure that will solve the problem as for this particular model (HP Pavilion 15-n203tu) the display cable includes the webcam/microphone module cable (and like I said above, these both work, meaning that the cable is fine).

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated :)

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
No it doesn't, unfortunately. I am trying to avoid replacing the whole screen itself because I don't think it'll be worth the repair cost + wait time. If I can't find any way to fix it I guess it'll become a desktop pc :p

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

I wish laptop parts were that cheap here in New Zealand! The prices I came across are at least double what you said (based on current exchange rates).

I did find some videos on my laptop, but not the exact model because hp has been reusing this design across a lot of its mid-range laptops. But I didn't really want to replace it on my own in case I damaged something else myself....

Do you really think I can upgrade it to a 1080p screen without any software and/or hardware issues? And also, what do you mean by doing my homework? Could you perhaps point me in the right direction as to where to start looking for a compatible 1080p screen? Being able to upgrade from the mediocre 1366x768 screen might just be enough to make me change my mind with replacing the screen.

zyx410

Distinguished
May 7, 2011

Is there any way to find the model number without removing the bezel first? I've found the HP spare part number is 732080-001 but I don't know if that'll help.