My laptop freezes and becomes unresponsive with a blank screen for no reason and a twist...

pap-x

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I have repaired many laptops with no problem finding the cause of the misbehavior but this one was really tricky.
It's a Toshiba L300-1A3 laptop that didn't have heavy use. I formatted it and installed Win 7 and everything was running smoothly. But after some time it started having the problem I'm describing below. It happened once a week but after some time it was happening twice a day! The problem is that the laptop is unresponsive for no reason, the screen goes blank with a random color (black, white, purple, green etc), you can hear the fans running at full speed and the only thing you can do is unplug it from the power supply.
I thought it was a hardware related problem because it happened randomly. So I started from the hard disc which is the easiest replacement. I replaced the hdd with one from an old laptop of mine (Acer) which had Win 7 and was never formatted. I left it for a week and it never froze again. So I said that's it, I solved the problem. I formatted the hdd (because I had my stuff there) and installed Win 7 from scratch. And no wonder it started freezing again. My next step was to install drivers. I installed the Intel display and chipset drivers but that didn't solve the problem.
So what do I do next? (Sorry for the long text but I wanted to give you every information there is)

pap-x

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

No I don't! I left it running for 3 days and didn't have any crashes. What do you suspect causes the problem?