My laptop keeps crashing when I watch videos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daniel_554

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
I've had my Asus x555lab laptop for around a year and a half and I've never had this problem before. When I watch a video on youtube after 5 minutes or so the screen will free and the laptop will make a buzzing noise which I think is what had been playing just before it crashed. Sometimes the rate changes like I was able to watch 25 minutes show on netflix then watched youtube for 5 minutes when it then crashed. I'm not able to click anything, move the mouse or even do ctrl alt del. I have to power off the laptop by pressing the button in order restart it. It has happened while watching a video on full screen and on normal size. It only happens when watching a video.I don't know what is wrong and I want to fix it as soon as possible

Solution

only way to find out the issue is to let it run and watch the bsod code.use bluscreen viewer incase u miss the code.

carlbyronthompson

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015
Take it apart, make sure ALL the fans and heat dissipation devices(fins, etc) are 100% cleaned properly and then checked to make sure they work correctly. You can download a temp monitoring program for free (google it) which can tell you the cpu temp. If you have exhausted all the other tips on here without success, try this. It sounds like its overheating.

Apr 11, 2018
i have a lenovo V310 Core I5 7200u with a HD Graphics 620 Chipset. Builtin Graphics fully updated to latest drivers. 8GB Ram Dual Channel Mode..... The Whole Day the laptop would work perfectly in every way gaming music etc.... as soon as i start watching a movie/video/tv shows on vlc or or any media player my pc gets stuck no mouse movement or keyboard functions and a hard reboot fixes the thing. other than that laptop functions well... no sound....

i went into bios and i have an option in which when i unplug my power cable it makes a sound and even when i plugin the wire....
when my pc crashes while watching a movie etc that sound pops up sometimes and sometimes not... so maybe this info helps you guys out somehow im really stuck on this one. tried everything from defrag to clean up to changes deep C folder stuff but nothing works.... sometimes i can watch a whole 45 min episode without crashing and sometimes happens after every 1 hour or 30 mins.

Aug 18, 2018

Smart here. Any solution yet?

Aug 22, 2018

I have a Lenovo laptop and I have the same issue when watching Netflix or Prime Videos. I wonder if it could be something with an Windows 10 incompatibility? I'm no good with PC's at all. I can barely turn mine on :) but with 2 different PC brands but the same issue and same Windows 10 could that be a possibility?

Dec 1, 2018
I have a Lenovo V110, Windows 10. one day, watching videos, the computer would crash and there was a loud noise.... it happened several times and usually after about 10 minutes watching videos. What solved it for me was updating the following drivers by going to the Windows symbol, left click, then click on device manager.... click the arrow down, then click on the properties, update drivers. I updated all of them, most said I had the current version. But a few, including Firmware, HD Sound, and Intel HD graphics updated.. and after, restart the computer, and it worked...

Jan 7, 2019
I was having the same issues (video from youtube and VLC player caused the laptop to completely freeze), also on an Asus laptop. I went to the Device Manager and updated the drivers for everything, and it appears to have fixed the issue.