My laptop keyboard is inputing the wrong keys

Delimon

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
I have an asus gaming laptop (the GTX770 I think?) and a week ago the keyboard went on the fritz and started acting funny. It started by typing extra keys such as typing L and getting a J with it or a Y with the O etc. And the left shift key also was not working. But the right one was. The next day it changed drastically so I bought an external keyboard.

Now whenever I try to login, whether I use my external keyboard or not, all letters are typed in all caps and numbers as symbols. The shift keys still don't work and even the number pad does not work on login. To actually get it to work I have to use caps lock and use the shift on my external kayboard and eventually within a couple of tries of logging in it fixes itself. I can tell by clicking on the symbol inside the login box to see what is actually being typed.

After logging on my external keyboard works perfectly fine but my laptop keyboard does not. The keys go back to normal but neither shift key works and some keys such as my / key does not work at all. The number pad also works.

I'm not sure what to do at this point as I don't think that this is a hardware issue as even my external keyboard is effected by this and I'm not a techie so I don't really want to open up my laptop and start screwing with things.

Hi,

It seems like more on a software problem rather that a hardware issue but the external does work as you mention somehow. :) Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by running a complete virus/malware scan. Please use this link below for tools and guide you can use.
- http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-1691891/removing-malware-proven-completely-remove-bitcoin-mining-malware.html
- Once done, do uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver from Device Manager.
- If these doesn't work do also check the keyboard setting if it's set to US and not to other language.
- Last troubleshooting step would be to run a complete factory reset if all these will not work.