My laptop won't power on after taking it apart!? (NOT YET SOLVED)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Payntrain

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
4.I measured the output on the ac adapter and it is working fine so that is no longer a possibility
update 3: the middle block of the ac adapter is green and the led for the battery and ac adapter are white. the manual says this is good. However the lights are very dim. still no power
update 2: i dont think it is the suppresor( the cord that plugs into the laptop to power the battery) as the middle part lights up green. I do not believe it is the battery either
Update: i took it apart again this morning and even removed and reattached the backplate of the heat sink. Put it back together and it turned on up to the windows screen.came back and it was off. The power button was slowly blinking orange and wouldn't turn on again. I unplugged the power and plugged it back in. The blinking went away but now it won't turn on. I have it charging because the battery light is orange. Also when it was powered on with the blinking light, the power button pushed to turn on the pc was not lit.

So I have taken my laptop apart before but this time it was to apply fresh thermal paste. I checked and all the ribbons are plugged in and even tested the ram chips. I also tried the discharge trick which did not work either. The laptop was working prior to disassembly. The led for the battery is lit up when I plug the cord in. I don't know what else the problem can be the laptop is a toshiba satellite a665 s6086. It has an i3 4gb of ram

Solution

It will be easier for you to have the same battery with the metal connectors on it. It will not be wise to solder wires on the battery. I think the metal connectors are spot welded. But you can use a regular 3V Lithium, you will need a battery holder, so you can solder wires to the holder and isolate everything with electric tape.

I read that some laptops when they don't have the RTC battery they don't start. Maybe this is the problem, the RTC battery should have 3VDC, yours has only 2.5VDC. So if you change it, you will know if it's the problem.

It will be easier for you to have the same battery with the metal connectors on it. It will not be wise to solder wires on the battery. I think the metal connectors are spot welded. But you can use a regular 3V Lithium, you will need a battery holder, so you can solder wires to the holder and isolate everything with electric tape.

Solution

Payntrain

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
also i dont know if i mentioned but before i took it apart the hdd failed.. it began working again and I got all my data off. I believe you can power on a laptop without the hard drive right?

Sorry I could not answer you sooner, to test the voltages for the fan, you have three wires, on one wire you should have 5VDC, the middle wire should have pulses at 3VDC and the other one is the ground. Hope this will help you.