Question My laptop's screen flickers or turns black randomly

Apr 30, 2022
I've posted this before, but I can't find a fix for this. I have this problem for months without finding a permanent solution. My screen either jitter/shake or turns black and won't turn on even after rebooting, I just keep turning the laptop on and off until I finally get the display to work. The laptop seems to work fine when I connect it to an external monitor (I'm not sure if there won't be a jitter on the external display too since I don't use it for long). Based on what I found the problem could be related to the LCD display itself, the cable connecting to the motherboard, the CMOS battery (I don't understand why, it's just what I found), or faulty display drivers.
I tried to uninstall the INTEL and NVIDIA drivers using DDU uninstaller, then either installing them using one of the following:
-windows update: the problem is not solved, it's even worse than before.
-Directly from INTEL and NVIDIA websites : this seem to fix the black screen problem, or at least before I try another solution, but the screen jitter it's still there.
-Using Lenovo vantage : I think it's about the same result above.
Based on what I've done, could I be sure that it's not related to the hardware itself and it's just software issue?
PS: I have LENOVO yoga s740 with NVIDIA mx250

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Based on what I found the problem could be related to the LCD display itself, the cable connecting to the motherboard, the CMOS battery (I don't understand why, it's just what I found), or faulty display drivers.

I can tell you right away that it's not the drivers or the CMOS battery.

It's either the display itself or the cable is loose.

See also some advice here for a slightly different issue.

https://forums.tomsguide.com/thread...-of-the-screen-any-fixes.502464/#post-1992933

Apr 30, 2022
I can tell you right away that it's not the drivers or the CMOS battery.

It's either the display itself or the cable is loose.

See also some advice here for a slightly different issue.

https://forums.tomsguide.com/thread...-of-the-screen-any-fixes.502464/#post-1992933
I don't have the same issue, the screen flickers (I'm not sure if it's right way to describe it since english isn't my first language), the best way I can describe it is like the display goes right and left for half a second besides this the screen is fine no lines on the screens..., but I don't understand how reinstalling the drivers would fix big part of the problem, if it's related to a loose cable

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
I don't have the same issue, the screen flickers (I'm not sure if it's right way to describe it since english isn't my first language), the best way I can describe it is like the display goes right and left for half a second besides this the screen is fine no lines on the screens..., but I don't understand how reinstalling the drivers would fix big part of the problem, if it's related to a loose cable

Can you take a photo or video of the issue?

Some driver settings can cause wobble, if your display refresh rate is set or modified improperly, and I suppose a reinstall would reset those options, but honestly it's more likely a hardware issue.

Apr 30, 2022
Can you take a photo or video of the issue?

Some driver settings can cause wobble, if your display refresh rate is set or modified improperly, and I suppose a reinstall would reset those options, but honestly it's more likely a hardware issue.
I can't it's not something permanent, it's just happens once every 1-2 hours, I cannot know it will happen, sometimes it's more frequent, sometimes it could happen once a day

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Apr 30, 2022
Does it look like any of these? If not, the intermittence suggests that the display driver is resetting based on usage. What are you normally doing when it happens?

View: https://imgur.com/a/jwFj0AH
before reinstalling the graphic drivers, sometimes the screen would be like this but I can easily get it back to normal by closing the laptop and reopening it or pressing ctrl+win+shift+b
1651248901102.jpeg

Usually the screen would start flickering or go black when I'm generally using chrome, watching something or compiling some code.