my speakers are an old kef which has a crossover. I get a crack

valeriejeanbrooks

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Crackling coming through the speakers which is 8 ohms when connected to my new amp teac 650 mk ii which should power 120 impedence. My speakers have a crossover which could be causing the crackle how do I stop that from happening?

Solution
Crackling is more likely caused by problems with the voice coils in the speakers rather than a crossover. Crossovers are passive devices (all the pictures of kef crossovers I can find are passive). They should not cause crackling.

kanewolf

Judicious
Crackling is more likely caused by problems with the voice coils in the speakers rather than a crossover. Crossovers are passive devices (all the pictures of kef crossovers I can find are passive). They should not cause crackling.

Solution

valeriejeanbrooks

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from valeriejeanbrooks : "Kef speakers make a crackling sound"

Hi please help! I bought a new amplifier teac 650 Mk ii max output of 120 now my speakers make a cracking sound when bass is turned up. My speakers are 8 ohms kef concord 2 and it has a built in crossover. How do I wire my amp so that I can overcome the crossover. My old amp only had a 30 watt max output and I wanted an amp that can deliver great sound but the new amp is not doing that if my speakers crackle!

The noise is not being caused by the crossover (which you cannot disconnect and use the speaker).
The crack is the woofer being driven more than it can stand. You may have damaged the speaker. The speakers cannot play that loud when you crank up the bass and the volume.
Your old amp wasn't powerful enough to do this but the new one is. Set the receiver to flat and the speakers will play louder. Add a self powered subwoofer to increase the bass.