My speakers make a popping sound. Please help me fix!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaughterfreak

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
Hi,

a couple of months ago, I bought myself the following 2.1 speaker system:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/speaker-system-z323

They worked fine the whole time until one day, when they just wouldn't turn on anymore. So I sent them back and got a replacement. But now I have a really weird problem with this new system:

When I turn the system off, the speakers continuously emit a popping sound every couple of seconds. Turning them off and on again doesn't help and they do it indefinitely (at least they were still doing it after 5 minutes^^). When I unplug them from the back of my PC and plug them right back in, the popping is gone and they work as intended. When I then turn them off and on again, the popping is back and I have to re-unplug and plug them to make it go away. So everytime I turn my speakers on, I have to unplug them for a second, or else they will pop all the time.

The speakers are standing freely on my desk, touching nothing else. The cables are hanging loosely behind the desk at the wall. The subwoofer is under my desk on the floor, also touching nothing else.

Should I just send them back again and hope the next system will be fine again, or is there something wrong with my PC somehow? I hope that there is a quick-fix I can do myself, because sending them back and waiting for a new system takes about a month and I don't want to have no sound for a month lol.

I will be grateful for any help :)

Bathsheba

Commendable
May 5, 2016
I had a similar problem, a continuous popcorn noise and occasional scratches in a 2.1 speaker system. I found that the popping was caused by the subwoofer, which contains the amp that drives the satellite speakers, being too near the network hub. The clue was that the pops were actually in time with the network traffic light. Moving the woofer one foot away fixed it, and now I enjoy blissful silence when not playing intentional sounds.

Not claiming that this is the solution in all cases, but it is a solution to this very common problem that I haven't seen posted elsewhere, therefore I'm posting it. Good luck!

Jaime_7

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
If you get poping sound in the speakers when opening applications, webpages containing audio, or videos do this: Disable the mics in the soundcard settings. This should get rid of your problem. If it does not, reinstall sound drivers.

Kahl

Commendable
Sep 1, 2016
Had the same problem, with strange poping sound. For me it where my chromecast that I had connected it's power source back in the receiver that where causing the sound.

bobbyd5813

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Yeah I tried a million different solutions and guess what they all failed. I was ready to toss my computer in the river and then I saw this post in one of the many worthless forums and all the crap fixes. http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe.

Downloaded it, ran it and it worked.

noor_11

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

can u send me the link? i cant enter it correctly, i have the same problem aswell D:

rgd1101

Don't

don't need to enter it, just click on the link

Status
Not open for further replies.