Solved! My Toshiba Laptop Keeps Turning Off

May 24, 2019
I have a SATELLITE model number PSLB8U-0V302L Tthat has the issue of turning off constantly. It is not the fan or a virus/worm etc as I have checked for all of that. It is not the battery or power cord as the battery is new and the power cord is fine. My computer, while watching NETFLIX just suddenly cut off with it only being able to stay on for about 15 minutes to an hour at best now and no ability to get on line.

Believing at first it was a OS corruption I attempted to reinstall my WINDOWS 7 (no I don't and will not use Windows 10 especially after it destroyed my other laptop) Installation would get to the point of near completion and the computer would shut off. Before the reinstall I tried using ROLLBACK, RESTORE even DISK WIPE ....would not resolve the problem.

I am starting to believe it is a corrupted BIOS that needs updating, but going to the TOSHIBA site for the BIOS download has left me confused as to which one to use... and I was informed that installing the wrong one, even though it says compatible with my laptop, could wreck it irrevocably.

Has anyone downloaded and used TOSHIBA BIOS upgrade from their site? Will any work for the model given.? There are like 10 to 15 options of BIOS downloads on the site under my laptop model... I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and not end up making matters worst.

My computer SYSTEM BIOS VERSION is 1.70, but I do not see 1.7 and do not know which of the many I should use to reinstall/update the BIOS

Any Help Appreciated...

PS... Here is teh page of TOSHIBA BIOS upgrade

https://support.dynabook.com/support/driversResults?freeText=PSLB8U-0V302L&osId=29

Solution
I don't honestly see it being the BIOS as the problem, but you can try it if you wish. I am starting to wonder if your drive is the problem.

When you look on the site, are you making sure to put in your exact laptops info (serial, etc.) and the version of Windows? That should seriously narrow down the options it gives.

Sorry for not getting back sooner, BUT I FIXED THE PROBLEM...

As I said it was not the fan or over heating, but was instead a BIOS update issue.

After trying everything under the sun to stop the computer from turning off so i could update the BIOS or change operating systems etc I tossed the computer aside thinking IT'S A DUD!!

I still have the WINDOWS XP operating system disk from when I bought my first...
Unless there is a specific BIOS for your specific laptop, then changing the BIOS would be a bad idea. Many people have caused more harm than good by doing so.

What I would ask you, however, is have checked the temperatures. If not, I would suggest you start there.

It could easily be overheating (GPU, CPU, etc.). Get a good program to check the temperatures, there are a few (free ones). Some don't work on some laptops. So if one doesn't give you the correct data, try another one.

If the temps are getting high, then you need to find out why. If under warranty, then contact the manufacturer as opening it up can void the warranty. However, if not under warranty then you can open it up and clean out all the dust, debris, etc. Make sure the fans are clear and unobstructed and the vents as well. After cleaning it out, try again. Should it still over heat, then I would look at replacing the thermal paste. Should that not work, then you may well need to replace more parts (fan(s), etc.).

Now if you don't feel comfortable doing said work yourself, I would suggest you try a local tech.

May 24, 2019
Unless there is a specific BIOS for your specific laptop, then changing the BIOS would be a bad idea. Many people have caused more harm than good by doing so.

What I would ask you, however, is have checked the temperatures. If not, I would suggest you start there.

It could easily be overheating (GPU, CPU, etc.). Get a good program to check the temperatures, there are a few (free ones). Some don't work on some laptops. So if one doesn't give you the correct data, try another one.

If the temps are getting high, then you need to find out why. If under warranty, then contact the manufacturer as opening it up can void the warranty. However, if not under warranty then you can open it up and clean out all the dust, debris, etc. Make sure the fans are clear and unobstructed and the vents as well. After cleaning it out, try again. Should it still over heat, then I would look at replacing the thermal paste. Should that not work, then you may well need to replace more parts (fan(s), etc.).

Now if you don't feel comfortable doing said work yourself, I would suggest you try a local tech.

Hello WEBWORKINGS

I have a TOSHIBA laptop and I don't know if you have ever dealt with TOSHIBA, but I am ready to take it back to JAPAN and BASH them over their heads for making such a crap product.

When the issues first started I thought it was just a dirty fan or a non operating fan, so I decided I would open it up and clean/replace the fan.

I DID NOT KNOW I WOULD HAVE TO TOTALLY DE-CONSTRUCT THE COMPUTER TO GET TO THE FAN!!!!... RIDICULOUS!!!!

HOLY CRAP... what a nightmare going through all of that to get to the fan. Nonetheless I did successfully and the fan was amazingly clean as well as the output. Nonetheless using my mini vacuum and can air I blasted the whole area just in case.

The fan spun easily and the heat output was great... Not HOT, but comfortably warm.

The temperature when tested was about 115 degrees

Forgot to say that the warranty ended quite a while ago, so there was no issue with opening the computer at that point...

Here is something I need to mention:

When I used the WINDOWS 7 disk to re-install the OS, I first clicked on the REPAIR COMPUTER feature which opened up the Microsoft Diagnostic feature... as long as I had that open, my computer would remain on with NO PROBLEM.

When I used the DISK WIPE feature after everything else failed, my computer ran FOR HOURS and never went off or blinked or anything.

So the issue is something else adn after trying what I believe was everything the only thing I could think of was a possible corruption of the BIOS and a need to reinstall it or upgrade it...

It is possible there is an issue with the BIOS.

I have to say though, that is a really high temp. To be that high (if we are talking Celsius) is way to high. If that is the case, then I would be worried that whatever item is that high is going to fail. Perhaps the thermal paste will need replacing.

Again, in regard to the BIOS, the only one you should even consider trying is one that is from the manufacturer and for that specific device. Any others could be way more harm that good.

Lastly, does the computer start up fine in "Safe Mode"? Does it stay on when in that mode? This would give you a better view of things.

May 24, 2019
It is possible there is an issue with the BIOS.

I have to say though, that is a really high temp. To be that high (if we are talking Celsius) is way to high. If that is the case, then I would be worried that whatever item is that high is going to fail. Perhaps the thermal paste will need replacing.

Again, in regard to the BIOS, the only one you should even consider trying is one that is from the manufacturer and for that specific device. Any others could be way more harm that good.

Lastly, does the computer start up fine in "Safe Mode"? Does it stay on when in that mode? This would give you a better view of things.

No it is not Celsius...hahaha I would be able to cook an egg on the computer at those temps...lol

Only on a few occasions am I able to have the computer on long enough to get to safe mode.

It seems as long as I am booting from the installation disk for Windows 7 it will remain on as long as I want.. MANY HOURS even. But if I boot from the hard drive it gets to the windows start window, where the colorful balls swirl about right before the desk top shows, then BAM off it goes.

I was on the Toshiba website for its BIOS specific to machines, but even then there are a variety of BIOS drivers, but I do not see the VERSION 1.70 that my system uses and wondered if others are compatible... hence my dilemma and seeking of answers from this board as to what to do.

On Toshiba site it says 1.6 or 1.8... No 1.7 So I was not sure if either of the two could be used in the place of 1.7 without problem.

https://support.dynabook.com/support/driversResults?freeText=PSLB8U-0V302L&osId=31

I don't honestly see it being the BIOS as the problem, but you can try it if you wish. I am starting to wonder if your drive is the problem.

When you look on the site, are you making sure to put in your exact laptops info (serial, etc.) and the version of Windows? That should seriously narrow down the options it gives.

May 24, 2019

Sorry for not getting back sooner, BUT I FIXED THE PROBLEM...

As I said it was not the fan or over heating, but was instead a BIOS update issue.

After trying everything under the sun to stop the computer from turning off so i could update the BIOS or change operating systems etc I tossed the computer aside thinking IT'S A DUD!!

I still have the WINDOWS XP operating system disk from when I bought my first computer... I thought after some weeks of my computer sitting waiting to be tossed into the garbage or cannibalized.... why not try and see if the XP can be put onto the hard drive.

SO... I TRIED... and guess what?... It went through to completion WITHOUT THE COMPUTER EVER TURNING OFF!!!... I thought IT'S A MIRACLE.

I immediately when to the Toshiba BIOS update website on a different computer and downloaded the BIOS UPDATE to a flash drive and updated the BIOS..... Worked beautifully..NO CRASHES, NO RESTARTS, NOTHING!!!

I started to keep the WINDOWS XP on the computer, but many browsers and programs will either not work at all or have limited functionality with XP. so I upgraded to WINDOWS 7 like I wanted to and it has been a week now with NOOOOOOOOOOO problems...

So to anyone else having a similar problem, try installing XP onto your computer when all else fails and see if that allows BIOS updates, Virus/Trojan/Worm removal or any other persistent issue.

After it is cleaned up, try re-installing your current/desired operating system back onto your computer... it may be the remedy like I found out.

Solution
Alas, updates to BIOS are really usually not necessary. If they were, you would be notified of them just like you are with other updates. But for some reason people think new version means they need it. :)

I am glad you got it sorted. It sounds like something between the original OS and the update you made later had a conflict. Sometimes you just have to go back to the beginning.