Mysterious Cord causes laptop to crash when unplugged (please help!)

PajosFTW

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
Over the past year, I have been having issues with my laptop crashing as soon as it was unplugged, even when it was fully charged. And no, this is not a case of my laptop battery not holding a charge, because when it did work, it could last for about 3 hours. I managed to temporarily fix this problem by pushing in a loose cord, which you can see in the pictures. It would wiggle loose every so often, I would plug back in, rinse and repeat. However now it is not the case, so I am searching for answers. Can anyone identify the cord? And its purpose? It connects to a chip that is near my power button, and leads to a little hole in the front of my laptop. I do not think it is a reset button because there is already one underneath my laptop.

Pics:
http://imgur.com/a/1wg8I

Laptop:
http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-travelmate-x483-6691-14-core-i3-2375m-no-os-4-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd/

Thank you!

PajosFTW

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015

It shuts off as soon as it is unplugged. Sometimes it wont, but if I bump it, it'll crash. This leads me to believe that this is some cord or connection that is loose, and keeps getting jiggled in and out of where it belongs.

PajosFTW

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015

It lasts around 6 hours when it is idle, but when constantly browsing or working it drains in around 3. The battery has probably degraded a bit but not enough to warrant it to crash as soon as it is unplugged.

zer0c00l587

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
Remove the battery, attach charger, and boot up, if it does and works normally then the battery must be replaced.

Some may suggest, removing battery and charger and holding down power button for 30 seconds to a minute to reset bios to defaults which may kick start the battery, but i would most likely replace the battery. Since at the end of the day a new battery will always be required even if one needs to sell it.