Mysteriously fell

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
So my laptop mysterious fell from the sofa it was resting on, and my usb key is now bent and inoperable (the data was thankfully backed up), but the mouse that was also attached took out a chunk of the USB port it was resting in with it, after extracting the piece of plastic and bending it back a bit the mouse still works perfectly, but the port doesn't. The volunteer program I'm currently on has an insurance policy, given I didn't even witness it, I just need a plausible story. but I'm not sure it can even be repaired, is it possible to replace a usb port inside a laptop?

Laptop is a Gateway M-6873h, and it's the right side port

*Edit* did a google search like I probly should have before posting this and it seems that I probably won't be able to replace the port (less I go soldering the thing or replacing the whole board) so I'll change the question slightly, does anyone have a recomendation for a solution/workaround to my busted usb port?

Toter

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
If there is one USB port that works then you can get an adapter that will be a block with many usb ports but if none of them work anymore i think its a bit of a job to fix it

jonyb222

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Another little timbit of info, the metal contacts of the port are still there are "work" (given I'd need to move the mouse prong from side to side till I find the sweet spot and then hold it there) it's just the plastic that guides the prong inside and keeps the contact aligned that gone