NASA Funding 3D Food Printer Research (The Replicator!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I think "synthetic" food will solve the world problems. That said I believe the printing of food should be done using actual cells cultured in bio-reactors. So only half synthetic assembled really. Staple grains should be relatively simple - It does not even need very advanced printing if any once you have cultured the cells. Good meat substitutes will be the real deal. I have high hope that such manufactured foods will help us avoid some dystopian future scenarios.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I think "synthetic" food will solve the world problems. That said I believe the printing of food should be done using actual cells cultured in bio-reactors. So only half synthetic assembled really. Staple grains should be relatively simple - It does not even need very advanced printing if any once you have cultured the cells. Good meat substitutes will be the real deal. I have high hope that such manufactured foods will help us avoid some dystopian future scenarios.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Yet another reason Star Trek is better than Star Wars! (couldn't help myself)
Now I can see a whole new business springing up, companies selling plans for building (!?) different foods. Let's see what we can turn this into!

mynith

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
It's an interesting way of doing it, but the machine will have to be a lot quicker than current 3D printers if they want to feed an entire spacecrew and still get decent texture out of the finished product. I suppose it can't be that hard for foods like pepperoni pizza, but the fibrous texture of most meats and vegetables could be quite challenging to replicate. Also, I wonder if the food comes out already cooked (yet still cold, maybe?) or still needs cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.