Navy Tests First Laser Defense Weapons System

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
A photon is a photon, and hard drive platters make the best photon reflectors. Seems that HDDs are getting thrown out by the thousand today, im sure you could get some cheap ones and glue them to your boat.

G

God d*mn it. Now i have to remove all the open containers of gasoline on my deck when i try to invade the US.

So much for my invasion fleet of sailboats.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]I wonder which war US starts now to test their new toys.[/citation]
Maybe one in defense of your country. Chances are, the U.S. defended it before.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cryptz[/nom]dont get me wrong, i like the idea, but how is this more of a "defense" mechanism then firing a machine gun/missle at the boat[/citation]
It could replace phallanx gun systems to take down incoming anti-ship missiles, but without pouring thousands of rounds of ammo pointlessly into empty air.

One shot, VAAP!!! No more missile.

curtis_87

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Orbital ION Cannon is now a step closer.[/citation]

Im holding out for the sharks with freeeking laser beams attached to them.
:)

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]We need only to attach these lasers to sharks and our plans for world domination can begin![/citation]
Yesss, and than we can send the sharks against the taliban Muah ahahahah ahahaha !!Evil plan!

G

Our Navy is buying an automated 57mm cannon from Bofors that can select from various munitions for different purposes - you can destroy the boat or just kill everybody in it while leaving the boat intact, for example. It has a rate of fire of 220 rounds per minute, so you can destroy a whole flotilla of boats while this laser is burning through the outboard motors on one. You can equip have of the Navy with these guns for the money wasted on this project.

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Chrome or a mirror coating would not work. They can only reflect the visible wavelength, and even that is not 100%. Laser are not spot lights, they're primary radiation is in the form of heat. Higher the wattage of Laser, the greater the heat it can generate. In the article, the laser was probably generating close to 1,000deg Fahrenheit. The next generation of aircraft carriers are to have a secondary dedicated nuclear generators for use with high energy weapons, ie Lasers and Rail Guns. Though as mentioned is correct in that these would be a boon for military as they wouldn't have to have as much explosives on board, not to mention the cost saving on weight and for the rounds as well. As long as you can keep generating power, you can keep on shooting.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]x3style[/nom]Orbital ION Cannon is now a step closer.[/citation]

Don't forget about planetary defenses.

[citation][nom]cryptz[/nom]dont get me wrong, i like the idea, but how is this more of a "defense" mechanism then firing a machine gun/missle at the boat[/citation]

Oh... Accuracy, not to mention it travels at the speed of light so if you miss you can readjust the beam where as if a projectile misses you have to reload, reacquire, and fire again.

Status
Not open for further replies.