NBC Sending Legal Threats to Subscribers of Non-CAS ISPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
NBC doesn't have to worry too much. It's dead last in the network ratings and it couldn't pay most people to watch its shows.

Gamer_Pollution

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
[citation][nom]reganaudet78[/nom]just as Manuel said I'm amazed that anyone can profit $7364 in a few weeks on the internet. did you look at this web page +++++++++++bit90.com+++++++++++[/citation]
Cool, do I also get 7364 viruses with those dollars?

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Gamer_Pollution[/nom]Cool, do I also get 7364 viruses with those dollars?[/citation]

I am sure they may even have a two for one special!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If they are sending some people "happy" notices and others the middle finger with a stamp on it, I would file a harassment suit against them. Innocent until proven guilty, leave me alone or take me to court. Even if they take you to court, as long as you have a wireless router your fine.

Spend the $75, and only ask for legal fee's in your suit and for them to cease the harassing behaviour. Do not settle out of court, even if you lose, all you wasted was time, and losing a small claims harassment suit only means they were not guilty of harassing you, not that you are guilty of being a software pirate.

Lets say NBC sent out 10,000 letters, if 1% of the people that received these letters did the above steps the corporate attorney fee's would be so staggering that NBC would probably just send everyone an apology letter and a free DVD copy of the office for reparations.

Harrasment : "behaviour intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive"

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]If they are sending some people "happy" notices and others the middle finger with a stamp on it, I would file a harassment suit against them. Innocent until proven guilty, leave me alone or take me to court. Even if they take you to court, as long as you have a wireless router your fine.Spend the $75, and only ask for legal fee's in your suit and for them to cease the harassing behaviour. Do not settle out of court, even if you lose, all you wasted was time, and losing a small claims harassment suit only means they were not guilty of harassing you, not that you are guilty of being a software pirate.Lets say NBC sent out 10,000 letters, if 1% of the people that received these letters did the above steps the corporate attorney fee's would be so staggering that NBC would probably just send everyone an apology letter and a free DVD copy of the office for reparations.Harrasment : "behaviour intended to disturb or upset, and it is characteristically repetitive"[/citation]

Having a wireless router does not protect you. It is still your internet, and you are the person responsible for what is being being downloaded on it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]Having a wireless router does not protect you. It is still your internet, and you are the person responsible for what is being being downloaded on it.[/citation]
nope.
judges are siding with the consumer more and more that ip is not a fingerprint and just because it was downloaded from that one doesn't mean they did it.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]Having a wireless router does not protect you. It is still your internet, and you are the person responsible for what is being being downloaded on it.[/citation]

This is just the other side of the same coin, and yes, it does effectively protect you. Whether it's your wireless router, proxy, VPN, what have you...
In the U.S., there is now precedent in case law that indicates a person is not an IP address.

Here's a quick 5-min search (which you could have done) that any defense atty can use:

Article: http://techland.time.com/2012/05/07/you-are-not-an-ip-address-rules-judge/

Court Decision (dismissed, defendants win) : http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/92215098

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]This is just the other side of the same coin, and yes, it does effectively protect you. Whether it's your wireless router, proxy, VPN, what have you...In the U.S., there is now precedent in case law that indicates a person is not an IP address.Here's a quick 5-min search (which you could have done) that any defense atty can use:Article: Court Decision (dismissed, defendants win) :[/citation]

THG is blocking URLs even though you use the LINK button. Typical.
Google case "2:11-cv-03995-DRH-GRB" and you should have it pretty quickly.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Easy solution. File a harassment and libel suit against NBC Universal. Then claim emotional distress. If you win, NBC Universal just became a target for anyone they've sent a threatening letter to. If you lose, if just proves judges can still be bought off....

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
How did they get the info and track the customers in the nonCAS ISPs? This is pretty much just a scare tactic, nothing has changed in the non CAS ISPs. They pulled CAS out because they needed it to succeed. I wonder if this was part of the deal to get the CAS ISPs on board. Sure does make the layman want to switch over to the ISP "protecting" them with CAS, doesn't it? This isn't even mafia tactics anymore, it's torture tactics. Both torturers provide you with pain, but you'll still come to favor the one who provides lesser pain. Good cop, bad cop. But the good cop is actually the one trying to control you.

Piracy is like a reverse lottery where millions still play but one lucky person will lose it all. It won't end until the media industries are disbanded and rebuilt with a more modern business model.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
With the Comcast/NBC connection, I can see how NBC might be able to know if you're allegedly downloading stuff from a suspicious site or whatnot, but if you're on any other ISP would they really be able to know or do anything? I mean, short of trying to get the offending website or the other ISPs to hand over private information, this story seems to be missing something in terms of where and how they get the authority to do anything. And if this is only on Comcast, this is a sure way to turn people off from signing up with them for internet service. Glad we finally got another competitor in my area so we switched from them last year anyway.

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
If they prevented me from getting online i would have to get a monthly cell plan and use 3g/4g. or hack the neighbors service but i do not want to do that. some people stockpile guns, i stockpile software. ;)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]...as long as you have a wireless router your fine...[/citation]
Ah yes, the old "wireless router" rumor. As if the court is not sophisticated enough to figure that one out. Nonsense. (Oh, and the contraction of "you are" is "you're", not "your". Unless, of course you meant "your fine ... will be $xxx")

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]fkr[/nom]If they prevented me from getting online i would have to get a monthly cell plan and use 3g/4g. or hack the neighbors service but i do not want to do that. some people stockpile guns, i stockpile software.[/citation]
'stockpile' as in steal? (stealing is illegal independent of if you want it to be or not)

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]nope. judges are siding with the consumer more and more that ip is not a fingerprint and just because it was downloaded from that one doesn't mean they did it.[/citation]
Wishful thinking. You'll find that property law has a little more precedent. The courts may be fumbling a bit now, but they'll learn. Stealing will be prosecuted.

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
LOL screw NBC and rhe RIAA/MPAA. I spend $20 a month to use a seedbox and private trackers just in spite of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.