Need a Antivirus for Windows 10

Miky5983

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
I already tried Avast (It caused some error with the start menu and cortana and I couldn't even use the PC so I had to unninstall it in Safe Mode) and Eset NOD32 (it uses around 50% of my disk and 200MB of RAM, and that is too much for me since I have a old PC).

I need something that wont use a lot of my CPU, RAM and disk.

Thank you!

HarisHDR

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Hi,

I have been using AVG free version for more than 5 years and faced no problems at all, so I would recommend you try it too.
http://free.avg.com/

Please also keep in mind you must not have more than one antivirus software, otherwise they eat up the system resources.

Hope this helps...

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

The best is a smart user. I have been using MSE (now Windows Defender in 8/10) since release on all my home PCs and I never have gotten a virus. Well my Wife's PC got one once because her mom was clicking every possible link not knowing but hey even the best AV will succumb to that.

The one thing I like about Windows Defender is its near zero false positive rate.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

The last time I said "just use windows defender" I had like ten people tell me why I was wrong lol. But i agree windows defender should be enough I used only defender on my laptop for years and never got a virus.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I use Defender but I also have MBAM and SAS installed for backup, just in case, and I keep a thumb drive with a bunch of portables in case I somehow get a super nasty virus but after almost 10 years I have not gotten a virus.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

MBAM and SAS work well, but are not antivirus programs, so I don't see how they are really backup...but I also just use MSE on Windows 7 and Defender on 10.

I think all the naysayers just spout what they've heard and been told.