Solved! Need a Gaming Laptop (Everything In Topic)

Soul_Stealer27

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
1. What is your budget?

Max of $1,500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Preferably above 15 inch but doesn't matter

3. What screen resolution do you want?

At least 1366 x 768

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable for sure
5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 1 1/2 hours worth while Gaming

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

At least on Medium
TF2,Minecraft, Call of Duty w@w , Battlefield, The Sims 3, Crysis, Dead Rising 2 and Dead Space maybe a few more.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Gaming, Photo Editing, General Schoolwork, Media Watching.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

At least 500GB preferably 750GB or greater

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Preferably In a store but as long as there is warranty

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

At least 1 1/2 Years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD ROM/writer but if possible a Bluray

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Don't mind as long as it's not expensive preferable like an Asus

13. What country do you live in?

Australia

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Prefer to buy in store and I really want a well built one

Solution
Well looks like you have a very good idea on what you want. I do like Asus too. Dell's XPS line is good as well as HP's Envy line also. But in the $1500 range you can get Alienware based laptops too. I'll list a few examples for you, but I think the things to look for are:
* 1080p screen resolution (1920 x 1080)
* 6-8 gb's DDR3
* i7 Intel Quad Core
* Any Class 1 GPU from here. (Notebook Check's GPU comparison list)
* 9 Cell battery or buy an extra one if you are going to portable much.

I like Asus/MSI/Dell XPS/HP Envy for laptops that are pretty good. Alienware also should be pretty good too (14x or 17x).

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Well looks like you have a very good idea on what you want. I do like Asus too. Dell's XPS line is good as well as HP's Envy line also. But in the $1500 range you can get Alienware based laptops too. I'll list a few examples for you, but I think the things to look for are:
* 1080p screen resolution (1920 x 1080)
* 6-8 gb's DDR3
* i7 Intel Quad Core
* Any Class 1 GPU from here. (Notebook Check's GPU comparison list)
* 9 Cell battery or buy an extra one if you are going to portable much.

I like Asus/MSI/Dell XPS/HP Envy for laptops that are pretty good. Alienware also should be pretty good too (14x or 17x).

Solution

AntiZig

Distinguished
Hello,
generally the following are good gaming laptops
Asus G73/74 is 17" models that should fit well within that budget
MSI GT7xx and Sager NP8170 are also 17" gaming laptops

check here for overall features, pricing and possible customizations
xoticpc.com

If you don't like to buy from them check around the store websites and directly from manufacturer you might find a better deal, but overall if you buy from xoticpc they are a good seller.

as stated above you'll probably want an i7 quad CPU with a GTX class nVidia card or at least a 6850 GPU from ati. Most of those machines will come with at least 8gb ram, so everything else is up to your preference.

One thing I'd like to point out you say you want a portable machine and yet you want it to be above 15"? That's kinda contradictory, portable laptops are 14" and under, anything 15" and above are desktop replacements (the weight reflects that as well). Same thing goes for battery life, when you're buy a beast performance laptop for gaming don't expect it to have great battery life, high performance GPU and a huge screen take a lot of power to run.