Need A Laptop For My Wife - Business

archanum

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Hey All,

Need your suggestions on a new laptop for my wife. She has very few wants with respect to it, but I will detail that below.

1_What is your budget? 700-900$

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? She wants at least a 17" screen.

3_What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't really matter to her, but something reasonable.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Mostly it will be at home, but I am sure she will take it out to clients sometimes.

5_How much battery life do you need? Hmm, a couple hours would be reasonable, but more is always better, as long as it stays in budget.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? N/A

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Photo Editing(10%),Word Processing(40%), Internet(50%)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? At least 250G should be good.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Not really.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 5 years. If possible.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD definitely, Bluray would certainly be nice.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Anti-Dell. Everything else I can deal with.....more or less.

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.Screen size is the most important to her, but I also want it to be able to run Win 7 ultimate (which it doesn't need to come with). Beyond that, expected life of the machine and service would probably be the next highest priorities.

If there are other questions I could answer to determine the right fit, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brian

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

Your wife might like the Acer Aspire AS7740-5691. It has a nice 17.3" screen, 2.13 GHz Intel Core i3-330M processor, and 320 GB of hard drive space. It also has 4 USB ports and a dedicated number pad.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

archanum

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Any other suggestions? Also, most of the laptops I have looked at seem to have mixed reviews, always.... Is this just something that is the norm with portable computing? (ie. build quality can be both bad and good depending on your luck)

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi,

You could check out the Toshiba Satellite A500-ST56X6. It has a 16" screen and is probably a bit more powerful that your wife needs (and has NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M graphics).

However, many laptops are going to have mixed reviews and pros/cons depending on the specs available. You're best bet is to find one with generally good reviews with features that will be most valuable to you.

I think a tool called PC Scout will help you out. You can search laptops by the features that you need (such as RAM, screen size, and price): http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?mode=landing#.

Check out the page and let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team