Need a laptop for software development while at school

mgammon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008
I haven't kept up with hardware for years, and have never bought a laptop before, so I'm kind of at a loss.

I'm a software developer, and I go to classes for 10 - 15 hours a week. I'd like to be able to get some work (work-work or home-work) done while in class. I may be running any number of programs / processes at once: Visual Studio, IIS, postgre, Fiddler, Eclipse, Chrome, miscellaneous development tools. Nothing too demanding on its own.

My budget is anywhere from 400 - 700, but I'm not looking to spend all of that if I don't have to. I'm just willing to spend 700 if it is REALLY worth it for my needs.

I went to Best Buy to checkout laptop sizes, and I think anything around 13" and 16" would work fine. I'm looking mostly at processing power. OS doesn't matter (I can get whatever I need through my university), graphics card doesn't matter, hard drive size doesn't matter (though speed does), battery life doesn't matter (as long as it can last for 2 hours on its own)

I found http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-Windows-C55-B5287-15-6-Inch/dp/B00KYCSD8A/ for $460:

• Intel Core i5-4210U 1.7 GHz Processor
    4 GB DIMM RAM
    500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
    15.6-Inch Screen, Mobile Intel HD graphics

How does this look for this price range? Would it be worth it to spend an extra $100 - $250 for better hardware for what I'm looking to do?

I considered the laptop posted above, or something similar, along with a SSD (bumping the total up to ~550) for more of a speed boost. Is that a smart alternative, and is it worth it?

Any suggestions for what / where else I should be looking for?

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
Do not get a Toshiba Satellite. Out of all the laptop brands Toshiba would be most unreliable. I cannot tell you how many Toshiba Satellite problems are posted on this forum, dozens daily.

Check out this Lenovo Thinkpad http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/thinkpad/l-series/l440/#techspecs

The Lenovo is much better for programming because the nearly 2X stronger processor would be much better for compiling code in Visual Studio. It also has 8GB RAM.

mgammon

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2008

Once I added an updated CPU and 8GB RAM, the price on that particular laptop went up to around $750 - $800, just out of my price range. Any other recommendations?