Need a new laptop.... recommendations? (less then $700 USD)

Zygodactyl

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
First off i already have an awesome i7 build PC for gaming. But full atx tower and 24" monitor are not exactly "mobile."

So i'm looking to buy a laptop for less then $700 USD. Its going to be for Watching videos, web surfing and mild gaming but probably very little considering my PC.

For price purposes i live in Illinois, US
and I will be buying this laptop in a month or two.

I have a few stipulations:

WINDOWS 7 ONLY No windows 8, i want a laptop not a tablet.
I want an i5 (but i could be swayed to a AMD equivalent )
Since it is going to be for videos and mild gaming a dedicated graphics card would greatly help performance.
and I will admit that i have a mildly unfounded preference to asus sooooo ya know extra points for a asus label. lol

Thanks for the help

1. What is your budget?
<$700 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Biggest screen for the price but if it comes at the cost of have terrible speakers its not worth it

3. What screen resolution do you want?
any wide screen format though i do like 1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
I'm 6' 3" carrying a 2.5 pound laptop compared to a 50 pound brick of a laptop makes no difference to me but mobility is the emphasis here i guess.

5. How much battery life do you need?
battery life does not need to be amazing so long as it will run for more then 2 hours its good

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
i Play most games except for MMORPG. my preference is a little heavy handed toward FPSs and Indie games.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
movies, streaming online videos, online surfing, multi-tasking, and games

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
a 500Gb HHD should be fine more is obviously preferred but not necessary

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg or Microcenter generally but any assuming it trustworthy

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 - 5 years In the end this not going to be a gaming laptop i have my PC for that so i'm fine if it gets phased out as being realistically useable for gaming

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Any; I have little use for it except for random situations and possible trying to install really old games that i have on 500mb cds, back when that was size of a large game.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
ASUS is my preference as i said before.
And i hate macbooks not that you will find one for under $700

13. What country do you live in?
USA

Solution

No, you should be fine. I did a similar thing recently, and it was totally fine.

Zygodactyl

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
ya i will admit there is not much with a dedicated graphics card for that price, i'm just worried that if i go with intel integrated graphic 3000 or 4000 it will greatly reduce performance
i am willing to bump the max price range to $800
but i am buying a new mic for my pc, a 32Gb flash drive and 1Tb external hardrive with this laptop and i wan the total price to come below $1000 with shipping and everything

Zygodactyl

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
i'm wondering if i should just go cheap and get one with intel 3000 integrated or get close $1000 and get one like this. its a good deal aside from the windows 8

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312438

i know desktop desktop graphic cards quite well but i know close to nothing about laptop GPUs is a GT 650M SLI any good, all i can tell is it contains two graphic cards since it is SLIed

ACTechy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Depends on what "mild gaming" means :) If you can spend the dough, the Lenovo Y500 series are highly recommended and the discrete cards would be excellent for your usage. I think the 650M would be just fine, you can google for benchmarks if you're curious.

Zygodactyl

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011

if i were to reformat the laptop that would work right. there would not be any weird effect. i only ask cause i know sometimes there are weird limitations for laptops. by reformat i mean to change it windows 7 instead of 8

ACTechy

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

No, you should be fine. I did a similar thing recently, and it was totally fine.

Solution