Need a phone for use in US and China, no contract. A little confused..

Zach Schumacher

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hey everyone, I'm trying to figure something out, and the information out there is all over the place and incredibly confusing. I come to you seeking help.

The purchasing decision I am currently facing is not a common one. The biggest problem, perhaps, is that ideally I'd like to get a phone that I can use with both a US SIM card, and a Chinese one, as I will be spending the next half year in the states, then going back to China. I spend a lot of time in both countries. It seems the biggest hurdle is the fact that Chinese 3G is 2100mhz, so I'm restricted to phones that support that. The problem is that I'm not really sure how to find what phones and carriers support it.

Aside from that, I'm obviously not looking to get on any kind of contract, since I'll be in America for less than a year. I'd prefer a nice Android phone, but at this point I really just want to have some idea of what my options are as far as phones and carriers go.

Thanks for your help!

Zach Schumacher

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

I don't know which phone I want, that's why I'm asking for advice. I don't know which recent phones will support 3G 2100mhz. I've heard some recent ones have a region lock as well.

Zach Schumacher

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014

Yeah, I've been really interested in the Nexus 5. Would I be able to use that with an AT&T SIM, then use it on China Mobile when I move later this year?

Karenas

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Yes.