Need Advice, Buy New Alienware or Used?

What would you do?

• Save the extra 900, buy a Go Pro!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy the new one, it will last longer, looks cooler, and its aluminum!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JBSpecial

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Hello, this is my first post. Thanks in advance. I am currently in the market for a new Alienware laptop. I am having a hard time deciding if I should get the new Alienware 14 that was launched this passed month or just grab a used m14x.

I will primarily be using it for audio production and DJing, not gaming. I really like the new look of the Alienware, it's amazing. I'm just not sure of the benefit I am getting over the m14x. I know its 4th gen processor in the new one, which from my understanding states a 12% increase, realistically I wouldn't notice it I'm sure. I know the m14x still has a perfectly capable of running my DJ program (Traktor 2.6) and my production software (Maschine 1.6, Ableton, Fruity Loops) So I know the used one could get me by for awhile. Is the new ram "DDL3" significantly faster than "DDR3"

What are the benefits of me getting the new one? I assume it'll last at least 2-3 years long that the used m14x, and I could buy an accidental warranty on the new one. It would be nice to have a accidental warranty because I have sometimes DJing in clubs you have people walk behind you with drinks or people coming and giving you high fives or whatever their preferable hand greeting is with drinks somewhat near the laptop. Is there a huge heat difference in the two? How about durability from plastic vs new aluminum casing? I do DJ a lot of ouside summer gigs, the m14x runs a little hotter i hear..

I guess the bottom line question is: Should I buy a used m14x for $600, or should I get the new Alienware for $1500. Is there really that much more that im getting for the $900 or are my aesthetically pleased eyes getting the best of me?

JBSpecial

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks, I appreciate the inut! I have been sold on the Alienware the DPC latencies are low, and thats something that is really important for my audio production. I wish Windows was a real time OS. :(