Need Advice for Gaming Laptop Purchase

trinion

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Hello community, I am not tech savvy at all but I'm considering buying a laptop that is capable of playing current games even if it's just at medium or low settings. I am just going to copy and past the questions from Maziar's post to make this easier.

1. What is your budget?
The most I am willing to spend is $1300.00 depending on how well the laptop suits my needs.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? The bigger the screen the better. I think the smallest I would settle for is a 14" screen.

3. What screen resolution do you want? If I could get 1920 x 1080 that would be great. I would prefer not to go lower that 1280 x 1024.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? I would like to be able to carry the laptop around with me in a bag but most of the time I will be using it at home or inside so more of a desktop replacement laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
At least three hours.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? The games I would like to be able to play are World of Warcraft, Rift, The Elder Scrolls Online, the Amnesia games, Starcraft II, GTA V, any Call of Duty games, and Bioshock Infinite. I would like to be able to play these games at a medium/low setting.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Outside of gaming I would just like Mircrosoft Word and to be able to hook up my bamboo drawing tablet to it.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Probably just around 500GB. Chances are I'll only be playing one or two games at any given time period so I won't need space to hold more than three or four at a time.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I don't really know any sites besides the Alienware site, but I hear that you can get the same quality products from other sites for cheaper so I would like to avoid using their site.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? As long as possible but at least a couple years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Just a DVD ROM drive.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have no brand preferences.

13. What country do you live in? The United States.

I was also wondering what sort of graphics card and processor I would need to play just World of Warcraft on high setting and what kinds I would need for playing the other games I listed. I'm not familiar with any of the names of the graphics cards I see on computers at BestBuy and I don't know anything about processors so I was also hoping I could get some tips on what types I should be looking for. Thanks for any help.

Solution
Ok dude.. here we go.
I found you a custom built gaming laptop:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X7-7600_Gaming_Notebook

This laptop is beastly and you'll be able to play Crysis 3 at the highest possible settings at around 37 fps. The price is a little cheaper than what you asked for because they charge 75 bucks for shipping.
Here's the thing though... it's custom. I got a Cyber Power PC (a desktop) and the thing nearly exploded probably because of a faulty part. That's the problem with custom laptops. Buy it at your own risk, but i would still consider getting this laptop :D

MrBoomBoom

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Ok dude.. here we go.
I found you a custom built gaming laptop:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X7-7600_Gaming_Notebook

This laptop is beastly and you'll be able to play Crysis 3 at the highest possible settings at around 37 fps. The price is a little cheaper than what you asked for because they charge 75 bucks for shipping.
Here's the thing though... it's custom. I got a Cyber Power PC (a desktop) and the thing nearly exploded probably because of a faulty part. That's the problem with custom laptops. Buy it at your own risk, but i would still consider getting this laptop :D

Solution

trinion

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Okay, thanks. I'll probably use that if I decide to buy this laptop. What do you mean that your custom desktop pc almost exploded? How bad was the damage?

MrBoomBoom

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Well... it's a very long story.
OK. So, i get the computer extremely excited. Plug in everything and boot up the computer. Everything seems to be working fine. I installed a few games (Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, Euro Truck Sim 2, Far Cry 3), bandicam, and Speed Fan, as I do with every computer. The first game I play is Far Cry 3. The game was working fine at max settings at 50 fps. Just as Jason's brother got shot in the neck and died, the computer shut down. I thought the power connector was loose, so I secured it with duct tape (as weird as that sounds). I tried again, and the computer shut down. So, I kept the computer off for about 3 hours and turned it on again and played Euro Truck Sim 2. After a few minutes of driving, the computer shut down again. It never occurred to me that the computer was overheating because I had liquid cooling and 3 fans. So I went on to Speed Fan and realized that something reached OVER 200 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT! I turned off the computer and let it sit for 4 hours. I went onto the bios, and at idle, the computer was over 141 degrees Fahrenheit (about 60 degrees Celsius). Normally, a computer should be about room temperature or a little hotter at idle, so I knew something was wrong. i called Cyber power tech support and they told me to make sure the CPU cooler was plugged in (which it was) and if the problem persisted, to return the computer, which my dad would have to pay for (I'm only a teen :p). So, we ended up returning it, got an RMA, and got a full refund (my dad still had to pay for shipping). my guess is that there was something wrong with the processor because no computer, even without a CPU cooler, should reach 60 degrees Celsius on idle.

And.. yeah, that's my story.