Need Advice for Laptops

maheanuu

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Hello, I am interested in purchasing a new notebook with a 17in screen but want it to have a min memory of 4 gigs and 500gb hd AMD not Intel also without any OS installed Looking at a Toshiba Satellite but can't find anything without Windoze Any Ideas would be appreciated I just cant see paying for Windoze when I will just trash can the system

maheanuu

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Not sure on prices there, I live in French Polynesia and figured around 700 to a Thousand Dollars I have had this Toshiba for almost 3.5 years and paid 450 for it. It is still running well, in fact much better running Ubuntu than it was running vista when I bought it... I will never buy any box that has OS installed again. I prefer to do the work and figure that I get the best of the bargain if it doesn't even know what Windoze was...

maheanuu

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
waht's your price range??

Cloudy, even thought I no longer live in the United States, I still shop and do my banking there. I will be buying a computer from Fry's, Comp USA, Tiger or someone there as here Machines are all with French Keybds and in French. Even though I speak French I am not truly literate and as far as technicial abilities English is my mother tongue and I am a retired US Navy Chief Electronics Technician and and ex Sperry Univac Field Engineer... I just am away from the USA and cannot find the products I want or really don't know for sure if I am asking the correct questions.. I want a 64 bit AMD based system and without any OS installed, I doubt that I will find one that way and I really don't have a choice as I would much rather set up Linux to my liking and not have to run through a lot of things that I wouldn't ever use. Here if you buy a PC you are going to get Windoze PERIOD.... I would prefer it have 6 to 8 GB of memory and if at all possible, I would like 2 drive slots with at least 1TB or 1.5 TB in each drive slot. I do have some older towers that I use, but my work computer is my traveling one and I am a photographer along with being a teacher and a computer repairman. I work on the outer islands here and do hard drive recoveries anti virus and malware removals along with teaching young adults and children on Raiatea the value of using an Open system and truly learning computers from the ground up...

I hope that this makes a little more sense than my first post and possibly someone knows pretty well which Laptop manufacturer will have something along the lines that I need. I do use my computer to provide both audio and video files to classes by large screen or projectors. So a decent Sound and Video System would be very much needed.

Thanks again, and perhaps thei is much better than earlier...